Should I pull over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
levad has made clear that he fully intended to pull over but felt safer and more comfortable doing it at the farm, he had every right to do that and was in no way obliged to do anything that made him feel unsafe for the sake of someone else's convenience, or lack of it in this case.

You did it absolutely right levad.

domtyler said:
levad has made clear that he fully intended to pull over but felt safer and more comfortable doing it at the farm, he had every right to do that and was in no way obliged to do anything that made him feel unsafe for the sake of someone else's convenience, or lack of it in this case.

You did it absolutely right levad.

To some extent what you say is true, however, in my opinion, levad has not supplied much supporting information about why it would have been unsafe to pull over at the passing place. I understand that he was traveling at 20mph. He would have had to slow down a fair amount to allow the car to pass at the passing place, however, that could have been done safely by slowing early and indicating to the left to indicate that he was slowing allowing the car to pass safely.

It is not entirely obvious from the OP if the revving occurred before the passing place (possibly aggressive, possibly to build up speed in expectation) or after the passing place (aggressive). Levad would need to clarify this before we could determine if safety was an issue.

OP
OP
levad

levad

Veteran
Thanks Dom, I did feel it was safer to let the driver past 100yds further on when the road (which is the width of a van) got wider at the farm.

Interestingly, a bit further on, when the road was wide enough for 2 cars to squeeze past, a lady coming towards me (not a 4x4) stopped and reveresed into a gateway to me more room to pass!

Not all drivers are impatient (maybe just those in a 4x4).

I think is fair enough if you are traveling at 20mph, if you are crawling along then pull in but if you have some speed then you are not holding anyone up, I mean how fast is safe on a single track road where you can meet someone coming the other way?

A bit of both Levad.

I drive and cycle almost exclusively on singletracks. In a car I pull in to let people past but I don't pull in where they can't see far enough ahead to safely go past. I don't leave it to long though, nothing worse than being stuck behind a vehicle who won't move over. If the passing place is on your side, pull into it, if not stop opposite.

On a bike I try to time it so they can go past as I move in and stop pedaling. I hardly ever stop unless there's a few cars to get past or a big vehicle, I particularly try not to lose momentum going uphill, so I may make people wait then. Cars coming towards me are different. On narrow sections I take the road but on wider ones I'm quite happy for oncoming vehicles to come past slowly, same as in a car really. I may take the road initially so they see me and slow and then move over.

Safespeed on singletracks? Depends of course on the road. Most visitors here drive at around 30. They are often in the wrong place on the road going around corners, overshoot passing places and don't pull in fast enough. Consequently I drive slower in the summer than I do in the winter.

byegad

Legendary Member
Now you know where they live why not set them the airless challenge and let all four tyres down and hide the valve cores for them?

Only joking, but I feel I would have a quiet word next time I see them.

Cab

levad said:
Thanks Dom, I did feel it was safer to let the driver past 100yds further on when the road (which is the width of a van) got wider at the farm.

Then you were entirely correct to act as you did; you didn't feel safe at the first passing place but a little further ahead you did. You didn't know he was stopping there and, more to the point, if he DID know he was stopping there then I'll wager he'd have just held you up as he slowed and pulled in right in front of you. Your bahaviour was correct; you don't HAVE to pull in at the first place wher you concievably can do so if in your view it is not safe.

Cab

Ben Lovejoy said:
Hard to accelerate without revving the engine, so I wouldn't personally have considered that to be aggressive. And yes, if there was a convenient passing place, I would have pulled in to allow them to pass.

I've been thinking about this.

I can't envisage any reason for a car stuck behind me to accelerate until I've moved over to let them go. I can't fathom how that isn't just plain aggression or, at best, bad driving. You don't accelerate into a space that MIGHT become available.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If I'm in the car following a cyclist where it isn't safe to pass, I'll tend to sit back a bit. As we approach a place where it would be safe to pass, I'll close up the gap to prepare for the overtake.

Ben

Ben Lovejoy said:
If I'm in the car following a cyclist where it isn't safe to pass, I'll tend to sit back a bit. As we approach a place where it would be safe to pass, I'll close up the gap to prepare for the overtake.

Ben

Me to, otherwise he ends up having to stop to let me past, if I close the gap then when he moves over I can nip past so not slowing him down to much.

Cab

Maybe I'm just a git then, 'cos if a car moves up expecting me to move over then likely as not I'll hold out for the next passing place. I'm not going to be pressured to move over, I'll do so when I deem it is safest to do so, and all too often someone moving close behind me hasn't waited for me to really get to the side.

Cab said:
Maybe I'm just a git then, 'cos if a car moves up expecting me to move over then likely as not I'll hold out for the next passing place. I'm not going to be pressured to move over, I'll do so when I deem it is safest to do so, and all too often someone moving close behind me hasn't waited for me to really get to the side.

I agree, you're a git. :evil:

Top Bottom