Should I service myself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Service everything apart from replacing headsets and press fit bottom brackets atm as i need to get the relevant tools for those ,it can save you a load of cash and given how poor some bike shops are i would hazard a guess i have more of a clue than some spanner monkeys

Would always recommend the DIY approach. A bike service stand makes it all so much easier. Tools you build up over time, same goes for skills and competence. Do the easy stuff first, and who knows where it might lead (hopefully not the local hospital :laugh:)

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I’ve always ‘serviced’ my own bikes.I built the last three MTBs I owned and am currently riding self-build road bike no3.It’s really quite easy to buy all the parts and build a bike,once done you pretty much know how to service it when it needs it.Internal cable routing,especially Di2 is a faff first time but easy once you’ve done it once!
I find building and tinkering with bikes quite therapeutic and all part of the fun!

Lovacott

Über Member
How hard is that though? On a scale of 1 to 10? I’m not very practical when it comes to fine mechanics. I can build a fence or clear a garden, but technical stuff is more challenging. How steep a learning curve are we talking?
If you google the repair you want to do ("tune bike gears"), you will be presented with literally hundreds of videos showing you step by step exactly what to do.

You can be more specific in your search and easily find your exact set up. Simply pop your laptop next to the bike and do exactly what the guy or girl tells you to do.

There are videos for every part of the bike. How to change a tube, how to fix disc brakes, headsets the whole lot.

For Shimano stuff, you can go onto their website and download the PDF dealers manual which also steps through the entire process.

You can sort yourself with a full toolkit for less than £100 quid but a lot of repairs can be done with a simple multi tool.

Once you've got the hang of it, you'll find that maintaining your bike is all about nipping problems in the bud as they begin to occur (if your gears become a bit noisy, a quarter of a turn of barrel adjuster will generally fix it).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The problem may come if you need new parts like a cassette. There is a 2 month waiting list for a cassette for Jannies bike.

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
How hard is that though? On a scale of 1 to 10? I’m not very practical when it comes to fine mechanics. I can build a fence or clear a garden, but technical stuff is more challenging. How steep a learning curve are we talking?
You sound like me! I'm mechanically inept and if I'm honest have no real interest in learning. Over the years I've attempted some of the "simple" tasks. After a few hours frustration load the bike in the car and head to the LBS who do the job, better, in 10 minutes.

My wife bought me a day course on cycle maintenance. It was fascinating and I genuinely had a great time. Came home armed with cable cutters (useful around the house), a Park Tool chain measure (still in original packaging) and a tub of stuff to rub on my hands to stop them getting oily (still got it, works well).

My serious point is for some there is great pleasure in tackling these tasks. For others, like me, the LBS is the best option. After two years and 2000 miles a check over would seem like a good plan. In my area this would be £30/40.

Have you tried looking for a one-man independent mobile or home based mechanic? We have several locally who do a great job.

I put a lot of effort in to keeping my bikes clean and properly lubed. I feel this is one of the most important maintenance tasks and one which I can very competently complete.

mustang1

Guru
+1 for DIY.

A long time ago I had a cheaper bike to learn on. I'd fix everything on it and even took the headset and bb apart (these were black magic boxes for me at the time). Loose spokes were fixed, gears adjusted, brakes sorted, bar wrap errr wrapped, cables installed.

Buuuut these days I can't be bothered to DIY so when one bike is at the LBS for service, the second bike comes out. With long hours at work and many other things to do, a bike isn't high on my list of things to fix. In the past, when one bike needed servicing, I used to think I'll get around to servicing it myself but that time never came and eventually my spare bike also needed servicing so I end up with two bikes that need servicing. No point in having a spare bike in that case. Therefore I always ensure one bike out of the two is in perfect condition, ready to roll.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I do all my own servicing and count myself as a very impractical sort.
even after years and years though I still do it with the book* to hand

* The book - the excellent Park Tool book of bicycle maintenance.
https://www.parktool.com/product/big-blue-book-of-bicycle-repair-4th-edition-bbb-4
excellent clear step by step instructions
I know folk tend to recommend youtube etc but I have the memory of a goldfish on technical matters so I'd have to consult the web in mid fettle and then cover the laptop in grease.
So the book - sometimes old tech is best.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd say 1.
Until you've got the hang of indexing gears the maybe a 2.
There really is nothing difficult about any routine consumables replacement on a bike.Stuff like wheel truing is a bit more difficult to learn but that's it really.I taught my son how to do it from being 6 or 7 years old.Back then there was stuff he couldn't physically do due to strength,but he knew how to do it.Now at almost 14 he can do most things:becool:
Once learnt it's a life-skill.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What is this "servicing" of which some speak?
In the last 45 years of bike ownership I can't remember taking a bike to a shop for anything.
Currently I have 5 bikes, all self maintained, and I am no mechanical expert. Bikes are generally simple machines. Keep on top of general maintenance and a bike shouldn't need servicing.
The only exception to that might be the chain as worn chains result in early demise of cassette, so check it regularly with a measuring tool (google) and replace when necessary.
Specific bike tools:- I have said chain wear measure, chain splitter, crank pullers, cable cutters, spoke key, and a torque wrench (and only bother with that on the carbon framed bike).
Keep on top of on-going maintenance like gear adjustment (simple adjustment of cable tension via barrel at rear derailleur); keep brakes properly adjusted and aligned; keep wheels true (spoke tension); lubricate moving parts and cables, and keep fasteners tight. Replace bits as and when needed (the only wear out parts are chain, cassette, brake pads, tyres, bottom bracket; all of which last thousands of miles - chains are thinner the more gears you have so wear quicker, I got 2300 out of chain on 11 speed cassette, but double that on 9 speed) .
Replacing parts is not complicated at all, with the right tools. YouTube is your friend!

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
TBH I'm a bit bemused by what a "service" is.

You need to take an occasional glance at your brake blocks and make sure your chain is lubed, but beyond that, you can just ride until things go wrong, then fix them when they do.

Am I missing something?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do you all service your own bikes?

Yes, and my girlfriend's bikes, and a couple of mates' bikes. One of my GF's mates turned up at my house with a bike she'd bought of Ebay. She said it needs a bit of work, but Liz said you would mind and let me know what I owe you for parts!

No I don't live in Scotland.

Top Bottom