Should I service myself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have bikes with both.

Disc brakes are even more of an argument against the concept of LBS "service". There's absolutely no way I'd leave disc brakes uninspected until an annual "service" by LBS. Would you?

Incidentally, the inability to easily judge wear is a key advantage to rim brakes.

No and I don't. If I feel anything may be wrong I pop in to my LBS. It costs me nothing and I often get coffee and a chat. I wouldn't leave my bikes without inspection and possibly the occasional tweak for 12 months.

This is the joy of a 20+ year relationship with an LBS. I get service, help and advice money can't buy.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When you clean your bike you take the wheels out to clean them. Yes? Look at the pads. It's not rocket science.
You mean you don't clean your wheels?
One doesn't need to remove wheels to clean them. Cleaning wheels is part of regular maintenance and essential with rim brakes.

I take the wheels out every 2-3 months when I want to thoroughly clean the areas of the frame which are difficult to access without doing so

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Look at them! Pull the wheel off if necessary.
A car needs oil change, filter change, spark plugs, air filter etc., none of which are found on a bike. All of which can be done of course by a reasonably competent DIY'er with a Haynes manual.

I intend to do this later this morning to see if I can spot wear. I'm happy to be proved wrong but don't expect to be.

One doesn't need to remove wheels to clean them. Cleaning wheels is part of regular maintenance and essential with rim brakes.

I take the wheels out every 2-3 months when I want to thoroughly clean the areas of the frame which are difficult to access without doing so
ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: C R

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Oh yes. I got my own hammers and everything.
Hammers are for the really technical bits, like indexing gears, or bleeding hydraulic brakes. I tend to stick to the basic stuff with a mallet and an old tent peg.

Jody

Stubborn git
I intend to do this later this morning to see if I can spot wear. I'm happy to be proved wrong but don't expect to be.

Look through the caliper. You shouldn't need to remove a wheel to see what's left on the pad but if you wanted to go to the extreme, removing and re-fitting the same pads is a 1-2 minute job.

Yes, that's exactly the response I would expect from you. You're lack of respect for others and their own choices speaks volumes.
Yes, that's exactly the response I would expect from you. You're lack of respect for others and their own choices speaks volumes.

Jody

Stubborn git
I do almost all the work on my bikes and have since I was a kid. The only time it gets a little more tricky if pressing frame bearings (full suss pivots) or stripping air forks.

Bikes are fairly basic and there is a wealth of information for you to have a go yourself.

dodgy

You don't service bikes, you just carry out regular maintenance, especially if using an MTB properly. There are no service intervals. Just little jobs to keep things perfect.
Agree!
Bike shops seemed to have introduced the concept of 'bike servicing' over the years, perhaps buyers feel comfortable with the concept from their cars. Shops will also sell the bike with the 'benefit' of a free service in 6 weeks time.
It's no surprise that newcomers to the hobby/sport have been indoctrinated into believing a service is required. Regular inspections during and after cleaning, measure your chain, keep an eye on tyres (or record distances in a document - I use Sporttracks) so you can order parts before they're needed.
Perhaps bike shops have only good intentions on the whole servicing concept, but it's not needed if you look after your bikes.

Top Bottom