Should I service myself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Me and my friends were fixing our bikes at 10 years old or less, learned by doing basically.

I service and work on all my own kit, bikes cars etc.

I think once you understand how something works it makes fixing it easy, starting with gear adjusments etc.

My lad works on his own bikes with a little nudge in the right direction now and then..

Lovacott

Über Member
Sorry, can't do all the fancy pointy arrow things. Far too techy for me!

Like this?

1624630226694.png

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I don't. For 3 reasons:
- I wouldn't know what to do (although I've embarked in a bike build project so that's about to change)
That's the best way to learn
- At the minute I've got no spare time whatsoever
Yet you have time to post on a bike Forum and embark on a build project :wacko:
- Since I can afford it, I like to support local mechanics and bike shops
I can afford it too but prefer to pay the best mechanic I know.....me!
To be honest getting a qualification in bicycle 'mechanics' isn't particularly difficult and many are not actually qualified/accredited in any way:rolleyes:
Spending time building your own bike will probably make you more 'qualified' than most bike shop 'mechanics' :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I do all my own maintenance. But you can just start with the basics then move onto more complex work as times goes on. Most bike components aren’t that complex or complicated to work on.

I can recommend Zen and the Art of Bike maintenance as a book to have at your side whilst you get the hang of things.

Lovacott

Über Member
At the minute I've got no spare time whatsoever
I'd argue that it's more time consuming taking the bike to the LBS than it is doing a quick adjustment at home.

At first, it takes up a fair bit of time. Reading instructions, watching vids etc.

But once you've done a particular job once, the next time will be easier. You'll know what to do, how to do it, which tools to get out of the toolbox.

You'll also get good at "on the road" diagnosis. If your chain "clunks" down as it moves to a smaller ring on the cassette, you'll be able to make a quick adjustment in seconds and put it right. If your disc brakes bind, a multi tool and maybe one minute of your time will sort it.

You'll also get to know how long consumable parts last (disc pads, chains, cassettes, chainrings etc.). You can then buy those parts in advance ready to fit when needed. If you buy parts in off peak periods (middle of winter), you can save some serious money.

The risk with set period servicing is that you will be either paying for parts to be replaced which still have months of use left in them, or you will be paying to have damage repaired caused by a failure to replace a part when needed (the chain is the classic example).

You could start by learning just one job. Maybe indexing would be a good start? Gears are designed to be user adjustable and the job requires minimal tools. You don't have to do any "stripping down and putting back together" either. Well indexed gears last a lot longer than poorly indexed gears which is another time and money saver.

Give it a go.

simongt

Guru
One thing you have to bear in mind is do you have the space to do said servicing uninterrupted - ? Also the space to layout tools, lubes, rags, components etc..
If you don't, then the question is debatable. I have limited space and time to do such things, I have to fit it round time, space; part of the kitchen, and opportunity to do these things. And we have eight bikes between us - !
Just saying - ! ^_^

Lovacott

Über Member
One thing you have to bear in mind is do you have the space to do said servicing uninterrupted - ? Also the space to layout tools, lubes, rags, components etc..
Servicing doesn't mean having to take the entire bike apart once a week. The majority of a servicing routine is simply visual inspection and maybe some adjustment here and there. Keeping the drive train clean and oiled, making sure the tyres are at the correct pressures, checking the chain for wear and a quick look at the brake pads. A drop of lube here and there and that's pretty much it.

The other part of servicing is done on the road by listening to the bike and understanding what it should sound like when it's working 100% perfectly. If the bike doesn't sound like it did when it was brand new, then something is wrong. Either something is loose, worn or misaligned.

Do the basic stuff yourself and major components will last a hell of a lot longer.

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

This is what happens in a deluxe service. Seems fairly comprehensive!

Attachments

• AFF9FE78-80BF-43DB-91E6-2FB524FD5B4F.png
    AFF9FE78-80BF-43DB-91E6-2FB524FD5B4F.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 213CE3D4-DAA7-49B7-96D2-AEAFF470593B.png
    213CE3D4-DAA7-49B7-96D2-AEAFF470593B.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom