Should I, she, or we pay this private companies parking fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Anyway, i can which way this thread is going. The usual ones will argue with me just for the sake of argument, hoping to get the thread closed. I've asked my question and received many answers, most not very favourable and not what i wanted to hear, but i did ask so there you go. As far as i'm concerned this thread is on hold till i've sought proper legal advice!🧐

Just read Beavis v Parking Eye para 99 onwards. And remember that you took advantage of Lidl's goodwill. And maybe reflect on why people 'argue' with you? I wouldnt't be so sure that it's just 'for the sake of argument. If you need a clue, I used to support you until you showed in the 'my dog doesn't need to be on a lead' thread that you had no thought for anybody else.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Mmm, quite interesting. Just been talking to a friend of mine who knows about these things. She told me they don't have any authority to issue fines as such.🤔 She also wonders why they have access to the police national computer, to track peoples addresses via their registration plates. I have an appointment at Accrington Citizens Advice Centre this coming Thursday,regarding a different matter. I'll ask them what they would do in such a situation.

I can see this going all the way to the highest court in the land!!🧐

You should ignore your friend, she clearly does not “know about these things“ or she’d know it’s not a fine but an invoice, and that the info is obtained legally from the DVLA not the PNC.

Pay up.

And if i don't, i suppose they could take me to court. Then it could make the local press and folk will think that i shop in Lidl!:ohmy:
I went to Burnley the other day. I decided to park on Sainsbury's car park. The last time i parked on it was about 10 months ago. I noticed the other day a big screen with my car's reg' number on it as i drove on, saying words to the affect of YOU NOW HAVE 3 HOURS OF FREE PARKING. They must all be at it. Talk about big brother is watching you!!:unsure:

I would be more concerned that people thought I had gone to Burnley than shopping in Lidl.

Drago

Legendary Member
It won't help Accy, but my FiL recently beat one of these.

He inadvertently parked my MiL's motability car in a bay that he shouldn't, and MiL got a ticket through the post.

MiL has had several strokes, is wheelchair bound, and cannot speak, so FiL rang the parking people to pay the bill but they wouldn't talk to him for "data protection" reasons as he wasn't the registered keeper. They would need MiL's permission before they could talk to him. That she is unabke to speak cut no ice with the brain donors at the parking taliban.

Fine, so he slammed the phone down, and ignored all the subsequent threatening letters and let the matter run its course to court.

The day of court came around, and when MiL was called she was duly wheeled in by FiL. When it became apparent that MiL can only talk in whispers and groans the parking firms solicitor asked FiL what she was saying, to which FiL responded, "oh no, you can't speak to me for data protection reasons".

He then explained the whole sorry saga about how he had tried to pay but the taliban wouldn't speak to him because of data protection, upon which the district judge promptly threw the case out and gave a sheepish solicitor a serious bollarking.

Dag Hammar

“Fake your death and flee to central america?”

I should be so ‘Lucky’

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This is the 3rd 'parking fine' i've received in nearly 43 years of driving. The first was on Morrison's Blackburn car park, about 15 years ago. It was for like this one, overstaying my allowed time. I didn't pay it and ignored the demands. Eventually they gave up sending me demands. The second one was about 12 years ago when i parked on double yellows to load my window cleaning stuff up. I argued that i'd only been a short while, but they said i'd been there 6 minutes when only 5 is allowed for such things.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I worked with a colleague who would never pay for parking in the privately monitored car park we used, and was issued tickets just about every day. She had a massive stack on her desk, well over 200, and kept telling us she didn't give a hoot and would never pay them.

The letters started arriving, and she ignored those too, saying she had found a way to avoid them.

It turns out she had found a way to do just that very cleverly, she died at work one afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom