should raw cabbage and raw carrot be included in a salad

should raw cabbage and raw carrot be included in a salad

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
kraut time

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Nom -

- a friend made kraut here, with just spring cabbage nothing else.

It was amazing - compared with the stuff you get in jars, or packets.

She assured me that it was nothing more than cabbage and brine - but it tasted as if it had all kinds of other flavours in there.

I'm a big fan of fermented veg these days - i know its good for you - but i think it's worth having just for the flavour :rolleyes:

I'm amazed we've taken so long to get into it as a nation - after all, over the years, we've stolen or adopted just about every other cuisine, and foodstuff worth having from around the world.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Actually I can't stand the things so that one was left on the shelf in the supermarket where it belongs.

Aubergines do seem to arouse strong feelings, either negative or positive in many folks.

I'm a bit fan of the shiny purple fruit myself.
- Although I do also grow white, pink, and yellow (!!) ones too.

As with most things, it's what you do with them that counts...

Have a whole warren of rabbits recently joined CycleChat? Wouldn't they be happier in Mr McGregor's vegetable patch??

Awwww, throwback moment :rolleyes:

You remind me of those people from a few years back who used to condemn all vegetarian dishes as "rabbit food" ^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The stem part of the cauliflower tastes so good raw I've never thought of cooking it. It has a lovely, cool pepperiness.
I like the flavour of raw cauli, but it does make me burp terribly.

Mind you that can be fun too - in an appropriate context :smile:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
That's entirely different from shredded raw cabbage presented as a sad apology for a salad. I love cabbage, but not in a "salad". It's just plain wrong.

Just to bulk out a Jabberwocky salad I'd agree, but I quite like the cabbage salad you get served in Germany and Vietnamese cabbage salads are rather good!

Top Bottom