Should the UK be awarded a men's race with World Tour status?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Given Britain's successes in recent years, both in terms of results and spectator's support, isn't it about time Britain should be rewarded with a World Tour status race - probably the Tour of Britain?

That's not how it works. If it was we wouldn't have the Tour de France...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't think the ToB could be turned into a Grand Tour. Three weeks of stage races round the UK would cover a lot of the land mass, and we just don't have the mountains to rival the three Grand Tours. Added to that with the Giro in May, Le Tour in July and the Vuelta in August/September, I can't see how you'd fit it in the calendar.

Eventually I hope that the week long ToB does make it onto the UCI World list like the Critérium du Dauphiné or the Tour Down Under.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
The Tour of Britain is too short. One week is not long enough.

I don't think the ToB could be turned into a Grand Tour. Three weeks of stage races round the UK would cover a lot of the land mass, and we just don't have the mountains to rival the three Grand Tours. Added to that with the Giro in May, Le Tour in July and the Vuelta in August/September, I can't see how you'd fit it in the calendar.

Eventually I hope that the week long ToB does make it onto the UCI World list like the Critérium du Dauphiné or the Tour Down Under.
The world tour races include 1 day races and stage races - it doesn't have to be over 21 days to be a world tour race. I didn't say Grand Tour.

SWSteve

Guru
I think ToB has had it right, stages not too far from one another and decent organic growth. It's a shame there will be less British teams in this edition than previous, as I liked seeing the kits of teams outside of the big league

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Grow it, don't overblow it. It's doing well right now, isn't it? I'd have thought we needed to steadily redevelop the racing tradition with public interest here.

Well, the tradition thing is quite important. In France villagers go out and stock up on old bikes to decorate the roads with. In Britain they stock up on green ink and carpet tacks.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Surely the Tour de Yorkshire?

Yeah, given ASO's involvement, the Tour of Yorkshire seems like a stronger candidate than the Tour of Britain. The regional character gives it a stronger identity as a race as well.

The UCI's reforms are supposed to include more WT races, so it's plausible that we'll get some over here. Probably the RideLondon Classic will be top the list.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think ToB has had it right, stages not too far from one another and decent organic growth. It's a shame there will be less British teams in this edition than previous, as I liked seeing the kits of teams outside of the big league

That's another reason for the Tour of Britain not to be promoted to WT status - most of the places would automatically go to the WT teams, with British teams (apart from Sky) only getting in as wild cards. the Tour of Britain should remain a showcase for British teams.

Yeah, given ASO's involvement, the Tour of Yorkshire seems like a stronger candidate than the Tour of Britain. The regional character gives it a stronger identity as a race as well.

The UCI's reforms are supposed to include more WT races, so it's plausible that we'll get some over here. Probably the RideLondon Classic will be top the list.
It's a "Classic" already.
upload_2016-7-29_22-58-57.jpeg

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy

Women's race already WT status for this year, which is likely to make a case for the men's to be elevated to the same status.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

That'll upset British Cycling. Already looks as though they stopped ToY expanding from 3 to 4 days due to jealousy.

Top Bottom