Shoulder injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Ok.... been resting the shoulder for around 2 months now, maybe even 10 weeks - it should be healed.

Pain correlated when my patience of being unable to cycle snapped so I started to hit the gym and do a lot of swimming. In the gym I was doing heavy weights and low reps - I particuarly enjoyed trying to test my 1 rep max on the bench and this is where I figure I have done my shoulder in - trying to bench 95kg when I really wasn't ready for it. It is my left shoulder - which I assume is my weaker one because I am right handed bla bla bla.
The pain didn't come on in an instant, so I doubt it is a rip. It got progressively worse but over a short period of time...and I stopped lifting and swimming to prevent serious injury. The shoulder is fine for every day use, but when tensed really hard or I start to lift weights/do anything with it the pain kicks in. The pain seems more round the back and top of the shoulder and deep down...though I have felt pain round the front.

My guess is mild tendonitus, as this is pretty common with people who start lifting weights and lift too much too early, but I would have thought 10ish weeks would have returned it to normal.

Anybody got any pointers?

Desperate to look into this further, as I can't cycle/run etc for a while, and this shoulder has rendered me useless, and I am not a dormant beast! Will take it to the docs, but I have important exams veeeery soon and shortly after have my knee operation, so proffessional help on this issue may be a way off

This probably isn't good advice. 7 months ago I had somebody cycle into me; he assumed I'd wobble to the right side of the path but I'd stayed on the left. I really didn't think much of it at the time but off the bike the shoulder just got worse and never healed. I ended up getting back on the bike anyway (probably not the wisest thing to do). I found after the first ride the it was excruciating, sorer than it had ever been but on subsequent rides it seems to have healed.

Crankarm

Guru
You need to have it looked at. I wouldn't leave it any longer as treatment may be much more difficult and less effective. Go to your Doc who will likely recommend physio to establish what is wrong and treat it. If it's muscular it can be massaged but being on the back of your shoulder I suspect is a bit difficult to do yourself.

Of course bumping up old Greedo threads means you are placing additional strain on your shoulders than you would otherwise by spending more time using a keyboard ... :evil:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go to the docs, could be a number of injuries - shoulders are complex and unstable joints.

Could be AC joint strain, rotator cuff etc etc. Someone in the know can do simple stretching tests which will show exactly what injury you have,

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Cheers for the replys :sad:

Did a few exercises that hit the rotator cuff directly, and it buuurnt, so it it certainly that. Going to look into it more after my exams + knee op I guess

Top Bottom