Shouting Match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
For the first time in years, I just had a shouting match with a ****ing twat (and his whole) family taking his kids to a private school in one of those enormous expensive black urban assault vehicles...

He or his wife had shouted at me whilst I was cycling on the road and not even in primary. There is a cycle path next to the road, but it is impossible to get onto from the the direction I had been coming unless you dismount, plus it ends suddenly. In any case, I mentioned none of this...

Luckily or unluckily, after shouting at me, he pulled into the same road down which I was going and proceeded to park. I knocked on his window, and asked him what he though he was doing. He shouted that he was telling me to get on the cycle path. So I told him I had the right to be on the road, and asked him if he had read the Highway Code. He said yes, so I asked him if he understood that he was wrong. He said' don't patronise me', so I asked him if he thought it was right to shout at people whilst driving - the conversation was now being conducted at full volume. ;) I asked him if he realised he was talking to an intelligent human being, and he got very offended at started going on about how he would say the same thing to the queen. So I just told him that he was wrong, a 4*4 self-gratification artist, and an embarassment to his whole family - who were still there, although not in the car. His wife was looking sheepish and a bit stunned - I was pretty sure that it was her who had shouted now, but encouraged by him.

I know I probably shouldn't have done anything, but I felt so much better afterwards. :biggrin: :blush:

If only you had had a helmet camera on :blush:

Anyway, who told you you were intelligent?;):biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nice one FM!!!! I had similar from some woman passenger in a black mondeo on Saturday. I just airzounded them and laughed. I can't always laugh, but I was in a good mood and thought they were funny.

Whenever anybody does something that really gets on my goat they nearly always pull off at the next junction. Why cut me up, etc? just to pull off :rolleyes:. I like to think they've realised their mistake and are hiding in shame scared they'll get a bollocking but to tell the truth they probably didn't even notice nearly killing me :sad:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If someone passes me a little close, I always yell an OI (or toot the airzound) and make a pushing to the right motion. If one of these has happened, and I'm catching the car at a junction, every now and then they'll RLJ to get away. Especially if they've motioned back a "move left", I guess they must feel guilty and know they've done something wrong!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's totally wrong that he shouted - most folk haven't a clue - potentially very dangerous for an in-experienced cyclist.

Flying_Monkey said:
asked him if he had read the Highway Code. He said yes, so I asked him if he understood that he was wrong. He said' don't patronise me', . :ohmy: :rolleyes:

Well done FM

I particularly like the part in Bold :rolleyes:, I'll need to remember this the next time I get into one of those situations. :sad:

domtyler

Über Member
I had to spend over two hours in heavy London traffic yesterday, and I got to thinking about cyclists. Now even though I was feeling pretty het up by the end and just couldn't wait to get home, at no point did I feel any animosity at all to the cyclists who were weaving through the traffic and making much faster progress than myself. At no time did I feel that any of them were in my way or impeding/threatening to impede my progress. I did try to think with an open mind and be unbiased, not just as a cyclist myself, but I simply could not connect with the anti-cyclist mind set at all.

I can only conclude that the anti-cyclist brigade are generally a particular type of person, I am relieved and glad to say that I am not, and will never be, one of them. :rolleyes: To55ers!! :sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Flying_Monkey said:
This guy was absolutely convinced he was right though. He didn't think he had done anything wrong at all...

This is the quality that we recognise in many of our fellow humans....ignorance, and there's nobody more convinced of their "rightness" than an ignorant person.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I usually manage to deal with people like this without shouting. I certainly didn't add anything to the general sum of human kindness, but boy, did I feel much better for it!

phaedrus

HLaB said:
Whenever anybody does something that really gets on my goat...

Somebody can get your goat, get on your wick, or get up your nose. "Gets on my goat" therefore is improper usage. Somebody getting up your goat, of course, would be far worse...

Trillian

2008-04-28.gif

Top Bottom