Shouting Match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
linfordlunchbox said:
Indeed I have. You just labeled a large group of people as '4*4 self-gratification artists' which gives the impression you think all who use them are just that - why am I not surprised you have always been so hostile :biggrin:

Funny enough I agree with your stance about the cyclepaths, and spent 1/2 attempting to explain to one of my towns road planners during a public consultation a few weeks ago why cycle paths don't work for cyclists and give drivers 'IN GENERAL' the notion we don't belong on the roads - he said 'I never thought about it that way before' :biggrin:

I'm not surprised the ignorant driver said that you come over in a condescending manner though, as you do here also :angry:

Thanks for your thoughts. Now if you'd posted that the first time, we might have had an intelligent conversation, even though you are still trying to get the little digs in even with a bit more substance. It really is that easy... you get what you give (as the driver found out!).

Now go back and read my OP. You will see that I don't go round doing this all the time, that I wasn't proud of my actions, and that the guy was indeed representative of a certain type of driver who is unfortunately all too common. I was also reporting speech made in anger not telling you my general opinion. At that point in time, I was very annoyed, and justifiably so.

Now as it happens, here are a certain class of shiny over-engineered over-sized 4*4s of the type driven by rich people in cities. You have said many times (many, many times) that this isn't you, so why leap into defend vehicles that are basically designed as part of some kind of urban arms race? They aren't for pulling horse boxes. They aren't for taking farming supplies up steep muddy slopes. They are basically bought to say 'Get out of my way, I am richer and more important than you.' And in this case the driver almost literally said this... Yes, they are a 'class' of vehicle, and they are marketed to and bought by, a certain class of person. Unfortunately these days, money comes with a built-in disdain for the rest of humanity it seems - these vehicles are perfect expressions of selfishness in so many ways.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
magnatom said:
Guys, this is fast degenerating into soapbox material.

[Condescending mode] Take your petty discussion to soapbox. [/Condescending mode]

[even more condescending mode] Thanks, but it's my thread, so I'll decide when it goes elsewhere [/even more condescending mode] even if you were the coolest cycling cyborg in coolsville :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Embarassed to say I yelled at a woman in a Freelander who was charging directly at me (I'm in a Citroen C8....not small) whilst I'm filtering past a long row of parked builders vehicles, there was little room for her to squeeze past unless she thought she'd mount the pavement at 40mph and drive by us there. At the last seconds she came to sharp stop car-mirror to car-mirror...(I'd already stopped to lessen the impact)...I'm afraid I wound down the window and told her to learn to drive in no uncertain terms...she just stared blankly ahead.
I don't feel good about loosing my rag... but sometimes you just need to yell at these numpties for your own good.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
A few years ago i was cycling along the coast road twixt sunderland and shields on the road bike (now sold) there is a cycle path on the pavement but its a rough as a badgers...so i always used the road when on the roadie
One sunny day i get a car pulling dangerously alongside with a peroxide blonde shouting something intelligable but sounding like "get on the cycle path" then speeding off...that road is infested with trendy tosspots in souped up spotty hatches...annoyed i didnt get a chance to 'have a word' i watched it in the far distance then hallejuah! it turned into a car park i knew was a dead end...right I'd had a rotton day at work revenge would be mine

Bombed down to the parked car slammed on the brakes up to the car but was completly thrown off by the fact that the peroxide blonde was about 60 and her partner driving about 70!:biggrin: mutton as lamb.... ehm perception reversal i politely asked what she had shouted at me...shocked, she denied she had when i insisted it was them she blurted out that i should be on the cycle path anyway...i calmly explained it was optional and the path was very rough...then the old man said she was right and i should get off the road again i explained more firmly that they were wrong...again they protested i should use the cycle path because their taxes paid for it...by now my patience was sapping.... I started shouting that they were wrong i paid taxes too and that gave me the right to use whatever road i pleased....
they looked worried and frightened they would up their windows and shut the central locking! bloody hell i felt like a mugger :biggrin:
"You doddery old gits" i shouted as i pedelled off far more would up and guilt ridden than i had been before i confronted them

Fuming for ages:angry:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I haven't any problems with chavs for ages. Last time was last year when I was egged. These were the kind of Nova-driving, tracksuit-wearing self-gratification artists rather than the 4*4 driving kind.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Smeggers said:
A patronising manner which would have done nothing but inflame the situation IMHO.

Like sharks smelling blood... they gather. Have you got any commuting experiences to share in this area, or anything useful to contribute?

Flying_Monkey said:
[even more condescending mode] Thanks, but it's my thread, so I'll decide when it goes elsewhere [/even more condescending mode] even if you were the coolest cycling cyborg in coolsville :biggrin:

Ooooh! Condescending and complimentary all in the same post. I bow to your superior frontal lobes...... :biggrin:

biking_fox

Guru
I had a banker (well he could have been and probably rhymes if he wasn't) in some (non-4x4) pimp mobile beep at me today, and then attempt to mutter something out the window, of which I heard 'road' and nothign else. I think he was objecting to me being in the second lane* rather than the curb. However I passed him waiting at the next lights, he passed me, muttering again. I laughed as I passed him again, stuck in the back of a long queue. I think he attempted to flick something at me, but he missed by a country mile (much longer than a normal one) but as I was in front, and it was too sunny and plesant riding I didn't care.

*its a really annoying junction. This is where I would be if I was driving, and as I'm cycling faster than the traffic it seems to me to be a reasonable position to take.

I think we all lose our temper occasionally, it's what we do when we lose it that matters. Sounds like you were still reasonably articulate.

I can think of 3 times in my own commuting history where a situation has led to the red mist descending and a confrontation ensues. I even once started jabbing a guy with my mitted hand in rhythm with my words as he wound his window down to abuse me: WHAT - DO - YOU - THINK .......etc.... so you did better than me.

Considering the amount of incidents you probably put up with on your commute, losing it once, when the perpetrator stops in range is quite forgivable.

LLB

Flying_Monkey said:
Thanks for your thoughts. Now if you'd posted that the first time, we might have had an intelligent conversation, even though you are still trying to get the little digs in even with a bit more substance. It really is that easy... you get what you give (as the driver found out!).

Now go back and read my OP. You will see that I don't go round doing this all the time, that I wasn't proud of my actions, and that the guy was indeed representative of a certain type of driver who is unfortunately all too common. I was also reporting speech made in anger not telling you my general opinion. At that point in time, I was very annoyed, and justifiably so.

Now as it happens, here are a certain class of shiny over-engineered over-sized 4*4s of the type driven by rich people in cities. You have said many times (many, many times) that this isn't you, so why leap into defend vehicles that are basically designed as part of some kind of urban arms race? They aren't for pulling horse boxes. They aren't for taking farming supplies up steep muddy slopes. They are basically bought to say 'Get out of my way, I am richer and more important than you.' And in this case the driver almost literally said this... Yes, they are a 'class' of vehicle, and they are marketed to and bought by, a certain class of person. Unfortunately these days, money comes with a built-in disdain for the rest of humanity it seems - these vehicles are perfect expressions of selfishness in so many ways.

Now if you has said 'chelsea tractor', there would have been less confusion, and I'd not have felt like you labeled all 4*4 drivers with the same tag.

Question - do you feel the same driver would behave any differently if they were behind the wheel of a large saloon car like one of the big Mercs instead ?

I rarely experience bullying behaviour from people in superminis. I quite often experience an attitude that comes with driving a 4x4. Which seems to be different to the negative attitude that can get from some Jag drivers.

If the driver's attitude has some influence on choosing the car that he/she drives, and it clearly does, then it's inevitable that some behaviours will be more prevalent in some types of vehicle.

I really don't like generalisations (look at my signature!). There are bad people in all modes of transport and types of car. However, you are right to some extent. Thinking back, I can't remember any incidents involving very small cars. There is probably some interesting psychology involved in car purchasing which relates to attitude on the road. However, we need to be careful not to label all 4x4 drivers as evil. I've had some very good experiences with 4x4 drivers.

LLB

I rarely experience bullying behaviour from people in superminis. I quite often experience an attitude that comes with driving a 4x4. Which seems to be different to the negative attitude that can get from some Jag drivers.

If the driver's attitude has some influence on choosing the car that he/she drives, and it clearly does, then it's inevitable that some behaviours will be more prevalent in some types of vehicle.

So people buy a certain type of car because they want to demonstrate their personality through it, and in no way is their decision made through its functionality in their given circumstances ?

LLB

Many people, yes. That's spot on.

For example, how many Hummers are there in the UK? There are several in Birmingham with gleaming, flawless bodywork. Why were they chosen?

You tell me ?

Top Bottom