Show me your Polestar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Care to offer some insights to back up this claim?

How certain are you that this is true? Also bear in mind that your diesel emits CO2, NOx and HC emissions everywhere it goes (into towns, past schools, in the countryside) and it rarely - if ever - operates at its peak efficiency. Plus have you seen the price of diesel? :ohmy: There's a forecourt near us with it currently at 199.9p/litre.

The energy and materials needed to manufacture my 17 year old car are not contributing to current day emissions, unlike a newly manufactured EV.
It's carbon footprint has effectively been written off over the past decades.
If I scrapped it now and bought an EV, I would be contributing to the pollution caused by mining the rare earth materials needed for the batteries and transporting them half way across the world. Not to mention the corrupt 3rd world governments that benefit from child slavery used in their production. Then there is the pollution caused by making the steel, rubber, plastics etc that are needed to assemble any new vehicle, along with transporting the new vehicle across the world to the point of sale.
The fuelling of EVs isn't as green as people make out. Power stations have to produce electricity - still mainly from gas, coal and nuclear.
The environmental impact of my 8k miles a year in a 17 year old diesel pales in comparison.

DRM

Guru
All cars have tyres.
EVs use the motors for braking more than the actual brakes. I think I use mine once or twice a journey.
And 100% of petrol is fossil fuel. I think the grid is about 30% renewables and increasing each year.

But walking and cycling are better than any car whatever powers it.
Yes they do all have tyres, my point being that EV’s are not clean & green, far from it, the environmental damage from the manufacture of the Li-On batteries is horrific, and charging them just puts the fumes in someone else’s backyard, not the owners, and I do realise that they use regen braking, I’ve been fixing EV’s for nearly 30 years, but regen braking is no good for a high speed slow down on the motorway for example

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Yes they do all have tyres, my point being that EV’s are not clean & green, far from it, the environmental damage from the manufacture of the Li-On batteries is horrific, and charging them just puts the fumes in someone else’s backyard, not the owners, and I do realise that they use regen braking, I’ve been fixing EV’s for nearly 30 years, but regen braking is no good for a high speed slow down on the motorway for example

As opposed to ICE car parts that are just wished into existence by the fairies.

icowden

Veteran
The fuelling of EVs isn't as green as people make out. Power stations have to produce electricity - still mainly from gas, coal and nuclear.
More of it is from renewables than you might think.

https://grid.iamkate.com/

In the day just gone, 49% from renewables. 52% is renewables or nuclear over the last month (I excluded biomass as I don't regard it as being in any way renewable or clean). Yes we need more renewables, but we are getting there slowly. The majority of non-green or nuclear energy is gas.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
The power stations are rarely in anybody’s “backyard” and besides, they are constantly monitored and managed to be running as efficiently as possible whereas ICEs almost never are.

Try telling that to anyone in/around Knottingley, with Ferrybridge power station looming over them, burning biomass

CXRAndy

Guru

I drive on a 70mph dual carriageway daily, we do 120 miles per day with our EV of which 90 miles are DC. I can count the times I touch the brakes in a week, its less than 5 times. You just don't need to brake if you follow the vehicle in front with a 2 second gap. Only impatient fools tailgate.

CXRAndy

Guru
Try telling that to anyone in/around Knottingley, with Ferrybridge power station looming over them, burning biomass

Ferry Bridge is east of Castleford, north of Knottingley, prevailing weather/wind from south west. The land north east is far less populated. York being 17 miles away as the crow flies.

Renewable energy in the UK today is 56%

Its constantly going up.

I will be doing my bit with an 80kW solar array later this year. :hello:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
More of it is from renewables than you might think.

In the day just gone, 49% from renewables. 52% is renewables or nuclear over the last month (I excluded biomass as I don't regard it as being in any way renewable or clean). Yes we need more renewables, but we are getting there slowly. The majority of non-green or nuclear energy is gas.
Wait until everyone has EVs. They can just about cope at the moment whilst EVs are a minority on the road.
The renewable power supply industry is getting there...slowly as you say. The problem is that the EV industry is outrunning the renewables and renewable green power isn't as 'green' as people think. It's not magicked out of thin air - turbines and solar panels all required manufacturing from rare earth metals, plastics, steel, resins etc and transporting to their respective sites. Turbines also draw power from the National Grid when they start up. They also have a limited lifespan ie. the renewables need renewing every 25 years, or so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
120 miles a day, blooming heck. I'd be changing jobs, and using my bike, which I do. EV miles or not, that's a heck of a lot of wasted time. Ex. 60 mile a day commuter and wasted 2 hours in the car every day.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The power stations are rarely in anybody’s “backyard”.
Absolutely! They're not "in" the environment, we built them beyond the environment.

Screenshot_20220611-124930_Google.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
120 miles a day, blooming heck. I'd be changing jobs, and using my bike, which I do. EV miles or not, that's a heck of a lot of wasted time. Ex. 60 mile a day commuter and wasted 2 hours in the car every day.

Live in the countryside, 20 miles from anything. Electric is 5p/kW overnight till contract expires.

When we lived in Leeds it took us 45 mins to do 6 miles. Now we can regularly do 30 miles in 45 mins :okay:

Top Bottom