Show me your Polestar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Parked near one in Whitley bay, is it me or are they huge?

This is a real issue, cars are just getting bigger and bigger (and heavier). Our Mk7 Golf is a perfect size, it just fits in a regular parking space anywhere, my F31 3 series touring can be a tight squeeze in some situations as it’s long, and it needs backing in to a space to guarantee an exit, but some of these new larger SUV’s and EV’s are masoosive, unless you live in a huge house and never use public car parks how on earth do people manage them day to day, it’s like running around in an Enterprise rental van.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Here, for the wont of it, some things we can agree on:

1. We all need to travel less
  2. We all need to use less finite resources
  3. Cycling is great. Driving a vehicle with an engine is less great.
Everyone still with me?

Oi, you at the back. Okay?

The rest is all about education, isn’t it? To convince everyone to shift habits, let go of perceived “right” ways to do things.

Personally, I’m involved in forestry management, and changing land use from marginal to woodland. And for a good few years was involved in biomass - producing the stuff, and later developing large-scale adoption of biomass systems at a local authority / sub-regional level.

The politicians, strategists and accountants were not convinced then, and, from what I hear from outside the tent now, they are still unconvinced. There is quite a lot wrong with power generation - none of it is truly sustainable globally. Not until we stop using power.

Much of the biomass for Drax and Ferrybridge is coming as woodchip from Canada. We would need an area of biomass equivalent to three Yorkshires to provide the woody mass needed for the output. It can’t be done.

Personally, I’m faced with the only skills I have now - building walls or building timber frames - and have to get there with the only means I have - an old diesel pick up is all I can afford. I’m faced with having to change if I want to stop pouring money down the drain and carbon into the ether: but where are the incentives, where is the help, what else can I do. Answers on a postcard, please. Or you could all just keep throwing data at one another from your trenches.

Why are Polestars so big.

Why isn’t a company building small, simple hydrogen powered 2CVs or similar?

Aren’t EVs just green washing, and pandering to the car / oil / investment companies needs?

I dont know the answers, before you shoot me down.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Here, for the wont of it, some things we can agree on:

1. We all need to travel less
  2. We all need to use less finite resources
  3. Cycling is great. Driving a vehicle with an engine is less great.
Everyone still with me?

Oi, you at the back. Okay?

The rest is all about education, isn’t it? To convince everyone to shift habits, let go of perceived “right” ways to do things.

Personally, I’m involved in forestry management, and changing land use from marginal to woodland. And for a good few years was involved in biomass - producing the stuff, and later developing large-scale adoption of biomass systems at a local authority / sub-regional level.

The politicians, strategists and accountants were not convinced then, and, from what I hear from outside the tent now, they are still unconvinced. There is quite a lot wrong with power generation - none of it is truly sustainable globally. Not until we stop using power.

Much of the biomass for Drax and Ferrybridge is coming as woodchip from Canada. We would need an area of biomass equivalent to three Yorkshires to provide the woody mass needed for the output. It can’t be done.

Personally, I’m faced with the only skills I have now - building walls or building timber frames - and have to get there with the only means I have - an old diesel pick up is all I can afford. I’m faced with having to change if I want to stop pouring money down the drain and carbon into the ether: but where are the incentives, where is the help, what else can I do. Answers on a postcard, please. Or you could all just keep throwing data at one another from your trenches.

Why are Polestars so big.

Why isn’t a company building small, simple hydrogen powered 2CVs or similar?

Aren’t EVs just green washing, and pandering to the car / oil / investment companies needs?

I dont know the answers, before you shoot me down.

I agree with much of this, but denying the facts as has been going on above doesn't get closer to answers.

Hydrogen is definitely not the answer for mass take up. It requires massively more renewable energy than battery EVs for the same amount of power (compression and other losses are far higher).

Huge overpowered behemoths seem to be de rigeur whether electric or petrol and are an absurd menace to both wellbeing and the environment locally and globally.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

View: https://youtu.be/sytWLB4-W-M

For those incapable of reading the video title, it's : 'The Big EV Lie'. Why they won't save the planet & all about dirty electricity.
It's a well thought out piece by a motoring journalist who provides his sources, which is entirely relevant to this thread.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
You did look at the UK's power generation. It's over 54% currently, if you add in nuclear which has little emissions to atmosphere. Then overall
, Nearly 80% of UKs energy is from zero atmosphere pollution.

Moving away from fossil fuel is progressing well,cit could be better like always, but we heading to eliminating ICE vehicles and pollution from energy production

roubaixtuesday

If you want anyone to watch a random you tube video, probably worth explaining why it's of interest, and also why is a reliable source.

From the site rules:

To initiate a discussion about an article, post a link to the article, quote a bit of it if you like, and include your own comments or questions so people know why you think it's worthy of discussion.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If you want anyone to watch a random you tube video, probably worth explaining why it's of interest, and also why is a reliable source.

From the site rules:

To initiate a discussion about an article, post a link to the article, quote a bit of it if you like, and include your own comments or questions so people know why you think it's worthy of discussion.

The thread is about EVs.
The title of the video is 'The Big EV Lie'.
The title is clearly visible in the link.
Not my problem if you can't follow the clues.

PS - I've added explanatory text - just for you. ;)

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

The thread is about EVs.
The title of the video is 'The Big EV Lie'.
The title is clearly visible in the link.
Not my problem if you can't follow the clues.

PS - I've added explanatory text - just for you. ;)

Well, you still don't say what the problem is, other than its a BIG LIE.

But I clicked regardless and it's 26 minutes long!

Get a grip, no- one's devoting 26 minutes to a conspiratorial sounding random youtube video. Make your point, whatever it is, concisely.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Well, you still don't say what the problem is, other than its a BIG LIE.

But I clicked regardless and it's 26 minutes long!

Get a grip, no- one's devoting 26 minutes to a conspiratorial sounding random youtube video. Make your point, whatever it is, concisely.

Did you actually watch it though? Or did you click, see that it's 26 minutes, skip it and then conclude it's lying?
The video made my point more concisely than I could have.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I agree with much of this, but denying the facts as has been going on above doesn't get closer to answers.

Hydrogen is definitely not the answer for mass take up. It requires massively more renewable energy than battery EVs for the same amount of power (compression and other losses are far higher).

Huge overpowered behemoths seem to be de rigeur whether electric or petrol and are an absurd menace to both wellbeing and the environment locally and globally.
Renewable fuelled electrolysis for green hydrogen seems to be taking of in US, Oman, Japan etc. Price of production is forecast to swoop very low by 2050. But then statistics….

Global menace, yes.

tyred

Legendary Member
This is a real issue, cars are just getting bigger and bigger (and heavier). Our Mk7 Golf is a perfect size, it just fits in a regular parking space anywhere, my F31 3 series touring can be a tight squeeze in some situations as it’s long, and it needs backing in to a space to guarantee an exit, but some of these new larger SUV’s and EV’s are masoosive, unless you live in a huge house and never use public car parks how on earth do people manage them day to day, it’s like running around in an Enterprise rental van.

This is the problem. I cycle mostly on single track roads and increasingly find myself forced into the verge by enormous SUVs being driven towards me faster than they should really be doing in the circumstances. I don't care what the power source is, they are too big and have no justifying reason for being so big. Most only have one occupant anyway.

Top Bottom