Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Today I machined a pump casing out of a solid. 100mm diameter carbon filled PTFE rod.

View attachment 419954 View attachment 419955 View attachment 419956 View attachment 419957

That's great!, nice to see the fruits of your labour.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I made the marinade for the Chicken Marbella I'm cooking on Sunday.
IMG_0870.JPG

keithmac

Guru
This was on a 2016 bike, he'd run the rear pads down to the metal backing and all the ventilation holes on the brake disk were full of compacted dirt!.

Was in for warranty work (rear shock absorbers leaking) to be fair you can't expect a seal to seal properly coved in grit and dirt..

Was expecting a moan at an hours labour and pads to save his seized and neglected rear caliper but all good in the end!.
20180728_153914.jpg

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
This was on a 2016 bike, he'd run the rear pads down to the metal backing and all the ventilation holes on the brake disk were full of compacted dirt!.

Was in for warranty work (rear shock absorbers leaking) to be fair you can't expect a seal to seal properly coved in grit and dirt..

Was expecting a moan at an hours labour and pads to save his seized and neglected rear caliper but all good in the end!.
View attachment 421470
What a mess! Good work on saving the day there. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Printer has been playing up intermittently for a couple weeks now and gives a faded print occasionally..
Replaced the air regulator that applies pressure to the thermal head..no change.
Check cable connections, nothing found.
Tried a multitude of print head position in relation to the print roller adjustments, print darkness and boost adjustments, roller is good, print head is good etc etc etc.
Fitted new printer...thought it was ok but it came back a few days later.
Just fitted a new control box, configure all the IP address, encoder settings etc.
Printer and control box..
20180803_144724.jpg

Sample of several pages of settings that had to be inserted...
20180803_072359.jpg

Other 'problems' today include..
Line op reports as rectangular punnets enter a machine, it alarms 'incorrect size'.
'You're feeding them in wrong, they should be fed in wideways'
'Oh fkit' he replied.

Within minutes, another line reports their printer has stopped printing. Investigate and find they've put in the wrong ribbon'
'Oh' replied that OP.

Another line reports his machine isn't level...indeed it's not, it's dropped one end so I set about levelling it up. On completion he says it's now too high
'It can't be, it's at the right level for the machinery feeding and discharging from it...it can't all be wrong'
'But it used to be lower' he replied.
Strewth....

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
New customer so I've been prepping and testing all the new nail guns

20180827_110658.jpg

277 of the blessed things

20180827_112927.jpg

Then training all 96 operatives in their safe use.

Phew! Too much like work if you ask me

gbb

Legendary Member
20181001_143238.jpg

Looking at a machine this morning, very evident it's going to need new shafts and bearings soon so preparing spare bearing housings with new linear bearings. Old ones were almost impossible to get out but apply some heat to the housing for a couple minutes, out they popped without too much trouble. The residual heat also meant the new ones went on without too much effort as well.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The problem was the operators were wearing out the bottoms of the nail gun magazines by pushing them over the work surfaces. These guns are only two weeks old!

WP_20180919_14_16_17_Pro.jpg

When the magazine wears far enough, the button on the base falls off which releases the spring which holds the magazine tray inside in place.

Making a steel magazine is cost prohibitive. Putting a metal base plate on is difficult because the bolt heads would impinge on the operation of the magazine inside.

My solution?

20181004_142109.jpg

Take a small bolt that will fit inside the spring and drill a hole through it.

20181004_143217.jpg

Thread the bolt through the washer and hook the spring through the hole in the bolt (later glued using a hot glue gun)

20181004_143136.jpg

Hopefully, this will work. If it does we can get a bolt with a bigger domed head, but this was all that was knocking about my tool box.

gbb

Legendary Member
So you buy your punnet of grapes with it's sealed film top, the machine that does that applies around 4 tonnes of force against heater profiles for 0.2 seconds....and your lid is sealed.
Yesterday it didn't seem right and got progressively worse, no last stage lift to make that pressure.
After many tests, checks etc etc it was found the gearbox had gone.
20181010_141303.jpg

It's very heavy but not that big...maybe 5 inches in diameter.
20181010_141238.jpg

Look carefully at the spines that mesh on the output shaft above, you can see some of them have sheared off hence the loss of drive.
34 hours out of action, that's a record for us, diagnosing the problem, waiting for a service engineer, waiting for the part to arrive via courier then assisting him reassembling it all.

Top Bottom