Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Had to laugh the other day while servicing a Yamaha 250 scooter, I'm surprised it even ran with that filter in it!.

20181027_123612.jpg

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Also spent 2 hours removing a Multistrada rear wheel for a tyre, ended up cutting 3 sides off the wheel nut to remove it with an angle grinder and slitting disk..

This was 2 sides off and still wouldn't shift with me on the end of a flexing 3/4 breaker bar!.

20181030_112126.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Bagging machine has been erratic lately and will occasionally stop instantly at random parts of its cycle. This could be a broken wire in an array of 4 sensors that monitors the positions of the jaws and monitors blockages...you can't easily tell if theres a broken wire or in which sensor so you replace the lot...'£390.00.
Jaws clamp the film, seal it, pull down a specific mount, open, return to the home position, seal, thus forming a sealed bag....60 times a minute.
20181127_123956.jpg

Sensors disconnected...not a good pic, , it's gloomy in there.
20181127_093554.jpg

Connections HAVE to be correct so I tape each new sensor cable to its original to prevent mix ups.
20181127_102911.jpg

Old sensor set...
20181127_103326.jpg

An odd photo mid job. I virtually had to climb in there at times to get access but it's full of mechanics.
20181127_103517.jpg

2 hours...almost exactly what I said it would be.

gbb

Legendary Member
all these hands-on jobs look so much more interesting than Excel all day! Keep making me jealous.
I love my job. It can be stressful, it can be mindblowingly busy or boring...and once I'd correctly set the sensor positions...very important or you risk instantly ruining one, or get the activation points wrong and it just won't work....and get the terminations wrong and risk blowing one or more of them ,....once you've checked and double checked everything....you breathe a sigh of relief...and smile.

CharlesF

Guru
And you get to admire the result, a machine working perfectly. Cleaning and servicing the bike is the closest I get to that, and it very satisfying.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
View attachment 440615
Last week's job was replace the sensor set and while doing so, look at the vertical white toothed bels, at the bottom rear....its slack while the front one is correctly tensioned. It bugged me so today we planned some work so I could hit it....assuming it was stretched. Also the front one has some steel braid bursting through, time to replace.
New belts (30mm wide, around 1.5 mtr long) and new style tensioner/clamp mechanism fitted...but the rear one was still slack :wacko:. It was a tooth out on the bottom toothed pulley and no amount of pulling would get it round that extra tooth, so undo the bottom base plate for the pulley shaft assembly, that allowed the assembly to lift a mm or two and gave me the extra tooth I needed, tighten it all up, tension belts, tidy up and monthly service the machine.
3 hours...spent a good proportion of that on my back, squeezed into the machine, no room for manoeuvre, lots of clamp and adjusting bolts with poor access. Nice, proper mechanical job though.

subaqua

What’s the point
I can’t show pictures of my work anymore . An NDA of sorts , officially secret ... but I have been pulling a set of stage 4 “detailed design” drawings apart as they are nothing of the sort...

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom