Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butchersbike

Cold day behind our stall on Ludlow Market.
IMG_0991.JPG

gbb

Legendary Member
Flow wrapping machine is in the workshop while it's not needed for a few weeks so might as well start at the back and thoroughly inspect and renew as necessary.
Transfer conveyor, a strange design of multiple rollers that often suffer from bearing failures.
20181222_085216.jpg

Lots of bearings, some replaced, any others...flip out the seal and pack in some more grease...
20181222_123740.jpg

Drive roller, self aligning bearings cleaned and lubed...
20181222_130505.jpg

20181222_130537.jpg

Reassembled for the most part, new belts fitted, a few bits to sort....that 2 or maybe 3 hours work.
20181222_135638.jpg

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The last few days have been setting up the tooling on automated machinery in Aberdeen. Everything went well and we were due to finish ahead of schedule when I spotted one of the bays was putting nails in a touch high on the joists. Not much, about 5mm but I figured it should be right.

20190124_103410.jpg

20190124_103301.jpg

The problem was the bottom sensor was set wrong. It should have just been a case of loosening the Allen bolt, moving it and tightening it.

But oh no. Because we were responsible for the tools, not the machine, the factory maintenance manager had to be called.

20190124_103320.jpg

He fiddled and played and pushed buttons and swore a lot before going to get the Big Maintenance Book.

20190124_103337.jpg

We waited patiently as he occasionally stopped to shout at us.

In the end, 45 minutes later, the correct procedure was deduced. Switch it off. Move the sensor. Switch it on. Switch it off then switch it on again. Bingo!

gbb

Legendary Member
The last few days have been setting up the tooling on automated machinery in Aberdeen. Everything went well and we were due to finish ahead of schedule when I spotted one of the bays was putting nails in a touch high on the joists. Not much, about 5mm but I figured it should be right.

View attachment 448849

View attachment 448850

The problem was the bottom sensor was set wrong. It should have just been a case of loosening the Allen bolt, moving it and tightening it.

But oh no. Because we were responsible for the tools, not the machine, the factory maintenance manager had to be called.

View attachment 448851
He fiddled and played and pushed buttons and swore a lot before going to get the Big Maintenance Book.

View attachment 448852

We waited patiently as he occasionally stopped to shout at us.

In the end, 45 minutes later, the correct procedure was deduced. Switch it off. Move the sensor. Switch it on. Switch it off then switch it on again. Bingo!
Been caught in a similar circumstance, different machinery of course but we couldn't understand why the changes we made wouldn't work. We gave up for the day and turned the machine off . Came back the next day, turned it on....and it I instantly worked !!!!

The flow wrapper above goes through a 'homing' phase on start up to align itself. Possibly the same scenario.

gbb

Legendary Member
20190128_144506.jpg

We have many sets of scales (maybe 30 of them) and occasionally they fail, thee in particular wont calibrate so its new weighcells time..
20190129_072432.jpg

New weighcell fitted, only 4 bolts, wiring routed to the control box PCB....
20190128_140912.jpg

Now go through a calibration process that really just a button push sequence and place some weights on the scales then save.
3 sets completed and working...cost of the cells....around £100 each.
Saving of £1000 made by not calling in the scales suppliers engineers to do it.

gbb

Legendary Member
You must have certified weights, are they beautifully turned brass weights, or just lumps of metal?
Certified yes, beautiful...no. Functional would be the word.:okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing I learned when working abroad...and temporarily forgot, was theres usually a way to fix something, you got to use your imagination.
I'd been repairing a printer control box button which meant taking off the facia of the box. Unfortunately I ham fisted it and damaged a tiny ribbon cable...which is not available from the box manufacturer...so potentially this could cost £1000 or so for a service exchange. FFS, that's mildly embarrassing.
My Polish colleague reminded me of the make do and mend attitude, can't you cut off the damaged bit and peel back the contact covering he asked.,?
Hmmmm
Damaged bit cut off...
20190205_142924.jpg

40 way ribbon, gently sanded back the insulation...
20190205_143108.jpg

Inserted back in its receptacle / socket..
20190205_142946.jpg

And the screen came on...
20190205_143247.jpg

Thanks to Marek for reminding me...don't give up.

keithmac

Guru
This has been on and off the bench over the last month or so.

Someone charged him a small fortune to turn it into a long range tourer and made a complete balls up of it.

Would have been easier to start from scratch but he ho!.

Sill have to remove swingarm to change front sprocket, what a daft design that is..

20190116_115601.jpg
20181129_103338.jpg
20181129_102549.jpg

Top Bottom