Show-us yer Covid masks....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member

Rocky

Hello decadence
Me and the prof

47ED6493-83A8-4B6C-B70D-31389FC955A0.jpeg

D

Deleted member 26715

Serious question, will that have any effect at all?

Surely you are going to either breathe the droplets either in or out & as you slide that down there is a risk getting any on the outside on your neck?

What is the size of the droplet & what is the standard of cloth/paper that is less than that for it to be effetcive

Rocky

Hello decadence
Serious question, will that have any effect at all?

Surely you are going to either breathe the droplets either in or out & as you slide that down there is a risk getting any on the outside on your neck?

What is the size of the droplet & what is the standard of cloth/paper that is less than that for it to be effetcive
Cough into your buff. Take it off and see if it’s wet. It will be. Virus particles are exhaled in water droplets. Once in the air, the water evaporates and leaves the particles floating. My mask protects you by reducing the water droplets I’m exhaling. It won’t protect me, as the virus circulating in the air can pass through my face covering.

That’s why the experts say my mask protects you and yours protects me. So, yes it will have an effect.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That is mostly true it won't. But you can't be sure you have the virus as many don't show any signs.
So if as you are wearing it the masks get's contaminated you may end up catching it. Either from the mask, your hands or contaminated surface. A bit like having unclean hands if you don't touch anything, eat or drink anything before you clean them you can't catch anything.
I don't strip naked and submerge myself in disinfectant each time I come in from outside, so the rest of my body and clothes could also in infected, the mask is no different. I guess it could get a bit mouldy from my own bacteria, but I don't need to treat it like full PPE. Personally it would be a lot simpler just to say "Cover your mouth and nose if you are near people, remove your mask by the straps and continue to wash your hands as soon as you get in."

Drago

Legendary Member
The experts, including the W.H.O, are at pains to point out that the effect a face covering to prevent the wearer from spreading the disease is "very minimal". It is being suggested more as a measure for giving confidence among the wearers, and thus encouraging the resumption of more normal activities, as it is a realistic means of reducing the wearers chance of infecting anyone.

Rocky

Hello decadence
The experts, including the W.H.O, are at pains to point out that the effect a face covering to prevent the wearer from spreading the disease is "very minimal". It is being suggested more as a measure for giving confidence among the wearers, and thus encouraging the resumption of more normal activities, as it is a realistic means of reducing the wearers chance of infecting anyone.
The WHO is about to change its advice and recommend their use amongst the public (as they currently do for pandemic flu)........someone very close to me has just written their revised guidance. What this space!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surely a buff is as useful?
I have been sporting a folded-double buff round my neck on my recent trips to Lidl but I now go 20 minutes before closing time when the store is very quiet so I haven't yet felt the need to pull it up over my mouth and nose.

But this reminds me... where is my CycleChat buff! I haven't seen it for a while. I'll go and search for it later.

As for the question of how much protection a face covering offers... I sneezed the other day and got some droplets on my TV screen 3 metres away - I couldn't see that being possible with 2 layers of buff material over my nose!

tom73

Guru
I don't strip naked and submerge myself in disinfectant each time I come in from outside, so the rest of my body and clothes could also in infected, the mask is no different. I guess it could get a bit mouldy from my own bacteria, but I don't need to treat it like full PPE. Personally it would be a lot simpler just to say "Cover your mouth and nose if you are near people, remove your mask by the straps and continue to wash your hands as soon as you get in."
No one needs to treat it like full PPE and yes your clothes may be infected but they are not rapped round your face so are unlikely to breath in anything from them.

Top Bottom