Show us your garden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I did not expect it to be warm and sunny today. It’s the sort of day that makes me realise just how fortunate I am to be retired.
D3D24F02-0D2E-48AB-A862-BCA5BC740BA6.jpeg

7530CF9B-993D-41C3-9B23-FD84EBD06EC8.jpeg

40AAC088-4146-4A2D-B3E7-F6F611FC95C8.jpeg

6C8B659E-1849-443D-B85F-22A28CCF3232.jpeg

82B708F7-006F-4400-A471-01B61302CC1A.jpeg

0E0B2DC0-C50B-4C2E-9415-D145A6747283.jpeg

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
I havent a garden at the moment as living in a holiday cabin in the Highlands but hope to have one in the not too distant. Heres my last garden on a Park home site, not a lot of space but squeezed in as much in as i could. Trees planted were Crataegus prunifolia, Malus 'John Downy' Sorbus vilmorinii, and one apple and pear espalier. I grew raspberries, strawberries,black currents, black berries and mixed veg in with flowers and roses. The strawberry 'planter' is an old sofa bed frame sawed up ^_^

Attachments

• 003-2.jpg
    003-2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 003-3.jpg
    003-3.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 007-4.jpg
    007-4.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 014-1.jpg
    014-1.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 001-1.jpg
    001-1.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 5
the Elephant Ear Palms had a good summer. 1 over wintered in a pot, the others were cut down to just the tubers & restarted in pots in March
palms 1.jpg

it was time to do the same this year
palms 2.jpg

palms 3.jpg

I'll let them dry for a while then put them in a dark cardboard box until Spring
palms 4.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/wZXEPbOTraM

& so begins the dormant months of our back garden
palms 5.jpg

the big one on the end is a different species & it's practically worth calling a tree now
the big one.jpg

bringing it into the house every Fall, then back out in the Spring is very difficult but I would feel too guilty letting it die now. my kids gave it to me for Fathers' Day about 5? yrs ago. I usually bring it in earlier before the leaves get beat up by October & November storms. was late this year so I trimmed off most of the leaves. here's hoping that wasn't a mistake. the leaves are much taller than our home ceilings so it fit better this year, but still heavy to put in a pot & move thru the house

Last edited:
took a small risk & hope the condo police don't throw a fit. ever since some neighbor decide to publicize a trail thru the woods, right at our back door, we've lost some privacy & developed some erosion, to the point that it's dangerous to walk up & down a small slope, near our garden. basically turned to a mudslide. I took some 2x2 pressure treated sticks, cut them in half, drilled 2 holes each & used some 12" nails, to pound them into the ground forming crude steps. also sprinkled some grass seed & covered w/ some soil. here's hoping ...
garden slide small.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Finally got it a bit tamed (it's been just matted rotten grass until last summer), and have planted what I hope will be a bit of a hedge. Will be interesting to see what survives my minimal-intervention policy... I've now got two plum trees, one greengage, one cherry, and in the 'hedge', blackcurrant, gooseberry, blueberry, rosemary, sage, thyme and lavender.

DSC01918.jpg

Finally got it a bit tamed (it's been just matted rotten grass until last summer), and have planted what I hope will be a bit of a hedge. Will be interesting to see what survives my minimal-intervention policy... I've now got two plum trees, one greengage, one cherry, and in the 'hedge', blackcurrant, gooseberry, blueberry, rosemary, sage, thyme and lavender.

View attachment 641815

wow nice view! is that some farming going on, in the middle ground, out beyond your backyard?
you reminded me of this song

View: https://youtu.be/rK7y6JDcINs

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
wow nice view! is that some farming going on, in the middle ground, out beyond your backyard?
you reminded me of this song

View: https://youtu.be/rK7y6JDcINs

Next bit is someone who's got a big enough plot of land to get a tractor in and plant long rows of veg. Beyond that is a field that belongs to a place that takes in big groups of scouts etc, and that's their activity field.

Here's the battery-powered rotary mower that tamed the 'lawn', before I got round to planting the 'hedge'. A fantastic bit of kit, especially when I think about what a tangled mess the old tousled grass was.

lawnmower.jpg

Taken a few days ago;

IMG_4085.jpeg

All tidied up the last couple of weeks after the winter but protection kept on some plants for this cold period.
Not sure if everything is ok, tree ferns are still wrapped as is the Schefflera and Daphniphyllum.
All Agaves and other tender stuff in pots tucked away in the greenhouse.

D

Deleted member 1258

Taken a few days ago;

View attachment 681088

All tidied up the last couple of weeks after the winter but protection kept on some plants for this cold period.
Not sure if everything is ok, tree ferns are still wrapped as is the Schefflera and Daphniphyllum.
All Agaves and other tender stuff in pots tucked away in the greenhouse.

Very nice, where are you located? I'm in the UK west midlands and here its been snowing and the garden is still in its winter slumber.

Top Bottom