Show us your hire bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was going to do a one-off post, but why not start a proper thread?

I was in France last week with Ms. P. who had some family business to attend to. Stayed in Le Blanc (Indre, central France) and hired this from the Office du Tourisme.

P1030856_zpsivxellrk.jpg

We hired a pair of these as transport for the week. The town itself is fairly hilly and this had a triple chainset behind the chainguard. Everyday cycling doesn't seem popular in Le Blanc (I did see some roadies), the cycle paths on the main roads are pretty poor quality- overgrown, bad surfaces (at least the give way markings are in favour of the cycle path rather than every little side road and driveway), there's no cycle parking beyond a few wheel benders outside the Super U. There's a fine cycle path which follows an old railway over a pretty impressive viaduct- I'd take the long way around just so I could ride it.

itchybeard

what was the cost of the hire?

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My Cannodale hire bike from 2014. Hired from Viva Cycles at Viva Tropic Hotel in Alcudia. My first cannondale experience, great bike and great cycling in Majorca.

That has got me thinking, I really dislike travelling with a bike but have never considered hiring a road bike (even though I was aware that this was possible)

That has got me thinking, I really dislike travelling with a bike but have never considered hiring a road bike (even though I was aware that this was possible)

I always thought about taking my own bike, but the thought of it being damaged in transit put me off. Generally it's cost me around 100 Euros to hire for a week for a good quality bike. To transport my own is about £60 plus insurance, and of course you need a good quality bike bag/box (maybe £250 to buy or £5 per day hire). I'm usually only away for a week at a time, so the costs kind of balance out, and it's less hassle to hire (IMHO)

itchybeard

20150916_125944.jpg

Hired from Basel station in September.
It came with rack and lights. I took them panniers with me to put my tent, bag, and clothing in it.
The bike was steady though a bit sluggish. 26in wheels.

Bodhbh

Guru
This was my first ever tour. Flew to Riga, Latvia with a couple of panniers and a backpack, hired a bike and cycled around the coast for a week. I had a great time, but hardly have any good pics. Anyhooow, that bike was a nice ride for a hire bike, comfy for 50-60miles a day and everything in order.

DSCN0743_zpsbxqfa5xl.jpg

DSCN0712_zpstfl5uflp.jpg

Top Bottom