Show us your marmalade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe touched upon up post, I havnt read it all, does the fact oranges are waxed matter ? I know we have to print the treatments on the label but never thought about implications.
Perhaps Sevilles are generally unwaxed, perhaps because they generally go toward marmalade production, we never pack them so I wouldn't know.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The Tuesday marmalade cupboard...

1000002792.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The Tuesday method ( passed through generations of Tuesdays)

1. Put the sevilles or other citrus in a pan, and enough water to just float. Simmer until soft, ~90 minutes. Take fruit out to cook and retain the water.

2. Chop fruit in half, discard pips (and flesh too, if it's too pippy to faff with).

3. Slice peel to thickness of choice.

4. Add back to the water with 2x weight in sugar, and pectin powder to match*. Pectin powder is best mixed with a little of the sugar to avoid clumping. Less sugar can be used with sweeter fruit than sevilles.

4a. Spoonful or two of black treacle if you like dark marmalade. This makes it harder to set.

5. Boil until set.

*Pectin powder is this lazy generation's cheat, the classic method was pips in a muslin bag instead.

*Pectin powder is this lazy generation's cheat, the classic method was pips in a muslin bag instead.

I use neither. :blush: And yet my marmalade sets without any issues. Picked up my method from an Edwardian cooking compendium (NOT Mrs Beeton) that the parental acquired. And of course, which I can currently not find.

Find most recipes generally too sweet. And the amount of water used to get "jelly" invariably necessitates the addition of pectin and lemon juice.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
i'm actually eating marmalade and peanut butter on toast. Aldi's thick cut. Its very nice, but I'd rather be in bed.

I do this too, a improvement on the yanks PB & jelly . Clearly you Lancastrians aren't all wrong'uns. :laugh:

Venod

Eh up
No home made stuff here, but we have this in the cupboard.
20240218_191952.jpg

Top Bottom