Show us your MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Javabob

EB3FE00E-DCB4-4F8D-B14A-5F5C5DDD6FDA.jpeg

The retro one, 1988 Saracen TuffTrax

D

Deleted member 23692

Just finished giving mine an update in readiness for a (now cancelled) trip to the Alps :sad:.

Managed to find a firm that could do the graphics in the same colour as the frame, and also updated the frame graphics to Rose's current font/design. Other changes are an increase in front travel to 160mm, reverting back to Schwable rubber and a pair of Sam Pilgrim's own PilGrips.

It's gonna be a shame to get it dirty :smile:

P1070268 copy.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just finished giving mine an update in readiness for a (now cancelled) trip to the Alps :sad:.

Managed to find a firm that could do the graphics in the same colour as the frame, and also updated the frame graphics to Rose's current font/design. Other changes are an increase in front travel to 160mm, reverting back to Schwable rubber and a pair of Sam Pilgrim's own PilGrips.

It's gonna be a shame to get it dirty :smile:

View attachment 523983

As lovely as that is they look even better when you finish your ride:becool:

Looks fantastic @Ffoeg cracking job

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
27308532219_6fd8fe97e2_b.jpg 20171216_102800 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

1994 Kona Kilauea with XT kit (and thumbshifters, yay). Resprayed in the US colour because the UK bikes were an insipid silver. Original Kona Impact allen key threaded headset, too. The complicated seal in the special slotted race was perished so I made a new one with black mastic. One brake boss added so it could take V-brakes.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
View attachment 524330 20171216_102800 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

1994 Kona Kilauea with XT kit (and thumbshifters, yay). Resprayed in the US colour because the UK bikes were an insipid silver. Original Kona Impact allen key threaded headset, too. The complicated seal in the special slotted race was perished so I made a new one with black mastic. One brake boss added so it could take V-brakes.
One beautiful bicycle.

Gunk

Guru
View attachment 524330 20171216_102800 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

my BIL has just bought a very similar vintage Kona off eBay, I had a look at it during the week, it’s a minter.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
my BIL has just bought a very similar vintage Kona off eBay, I had a look at it during the week, it’s a minter.
I like the slightly earlier ones (91-93) best as the geometry was just perfect before they had to make them "suspension ready". I have a roadified 92 Cinder Cone and it really will do everything. We did the fastest-ever 30 mile Wednesday night circuit when I was on it!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I like the slightly earlier ones (91-93) best as the geometry was just perfect before they had to make them "suspension ready". I have a roadified 92 Cinder Cone and it really will do everything. We did the fastest-ever 30 mile Wednesday night circuit when I was on it!

+1
...had a 1991 Fire Mountain at one point... a brilliant bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I do like a lugged MTB frame in a large size with horizontal top tubes. That Panasonic is too big for me though!

I've spotted a couple of old-school 26" Giants over the last week, not giant in name only as these were also 23"!
One by-product of the virus is a lot of ancient stuff is getting dragged out and ridden, probably for the first time in years. I've seen quite a number of late 80's/early 90's MTB's, and quite a few old steel racers with downtube shifters, and even a couple of really old 3-speeds, including an immaculate enclosed chaincase Hercules.

Top Bottom