Show us your Raleigh?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
My Raleigh Randonneur 1997
IMG_20160712_161406.jpg

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Raleigh Equipe in front of Arundel Castle.
20190422_210215.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My latest secondhand bargain, a slightly scruffy but mechanically low mileage 1985 Raleigh Royal tourer. Mudguards and rack had both seen better days, so were removed as I don't intend to use it for touring anyway. Pictured earlier today. Even the drizzle didn't spoil my enjoyment, and I had a nice little pootle of about 12 miles.
I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy-rolling it is on 1980's Michelin tyres, and compared to my flat bar bikes, it will ride 1 gear ratio higher and give more speed for the same amount of perceived effort.
The difference is really quite noticeable, especially against a MTB.

The bar tape is a lash up using insulating tape, as the proper stuff i ordered hasn't turned up yet.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ok john, come clean, how much did you get it for? Ebay or gumtree? Any rust? What are the brakes like?

The Royal came off eBay and now owes me the princely sum of £33, including the bar tape I've got on order.
There's a couple of very small rust spots on the frame tubes, plus the headset chrome is quite shabby although it turns smoothly. The chromed steel pannier rack also had quite a bit of surface rust, but that either isn't going to get used at all, or will only get used on a hack bike where the appearance doesn't matter. Mechanically there is very little wear, and the tyres are factory-spec so I suspect it has not actually been used that much, but has spent a good few years stored in a damp shed or garage. Not out in the open though, because the chain wasn't fused into a solid rusty lump.
The brakes work adequately well, for the sort of riding I'm going to be doing on it. The front wasn't great when the wheel was way out of true, but is now much better. They aren't going to put you over the bars, but they stop OK, and that includes braking in wet conditions. I haven't touched them apart from spraying some lube into the mech pivots and cable housings. The brake blocks are what were on the bike when I got it, and most likely the original factory fitments.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I got this bog standard Twenty on Monday, not sure what I’m going to do with it yet.

Tinker with it, ride it, and compare it back-to-back with the Dawes Kingpin?
You don't need an excuse to own another Raleigh, but if you did, running a comparison would be a good one.

Top Bottom