Show us your self builds...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gareth01244

Veteran
2004 Rourke frame, built up with Mizuno carbon forks, SRAM Force 22 running gear, USE stem, bars, seatpost and quick releases and hand made wheels.

View attachment 331202
Lovely looking build, do you hsve any info on the mizuno forks? I have a bike with the same fork and have not been able to find out much info on them. They seem to be quite well liked by those who have a set.

Adam4868

Guru
IMG_20170426_100948254.jpg

Bought the frame (onix rh) and built the bike up.Not seen another, probally why i got it !

D

Deleted member 41544

IMG_0785 (1).JPG

1992 diamondback ascent ex. first bike i built
£25 plus post for frame and forks on e bay
£40 for 8 speed full deore lx groupset on e bay plus bars and stem (off a bike with a cracked tube)
£45 for the wheels and tyres mavic xm117. Think they tyres are michelin carbon somet or other
£2.99 for the bottom b on e bay
£20 for bottom bracket shell tapping and facing
£10 for cables
£9.98 for bottle cages

Not as fancy as some on here but good to get the understanding of building a bike and felt quite good that it all worked

stumpy66

Veteran
View attachment 349518
1992 diamondback ascent ex. first bike i built
£25 plus post for frame and forks on e bay
£40 for 8 speed full deore lx groupset on e bay plus bars and stem (off a bike with a cracked tube)
£45 for the wheels and tyres mavic xm117. Think they tyres are michelin carbon somet or other
£2.99 for the bottom b on e bay
£20 for bottom bracket shell tapping and facing
£10 for cables
£9.98 for bottle cages

Not as fancy as some on here but good to get the understanding of building a bike and felt quite good that it all worked
Well done on the build, 'it's satisfying doing it yourself

kyuss

Veteran
I've built a few. Only have pics of two at the moment.

Built this one up a few years back. Well, built it twice actually after getting the frame replaced under warranty. Realised it was probably a bit lightweight for someone my size so only used it again a handful of times.

37382888474_1f86ff2393_b.jpg

38061133322_69ddf700f4_b.jpg

Sick of seeing it sat unused I tore it down and used a few of the bits to build this one a couple of weeks ago. My new budget TT bike.

24239825868_e44fa7f2de_b.jpg

38061102172_4a4a1525b7_b.jpg

Brake calipers, drive chain, headset and tyres off the Kinesis, seatpost, stem and fork from the parts box, the rest as follows:

Unbranded frame (it had been powder coated but think it's either a Prolite Espresso or Ribble Chrono TT}) £33 (eBay)
Deda base bars and extensions £50.30 (halfords)
Microshift 10spd shifters £70 (amazon)
Tektro TL720 brake levers £15.69 (ribble)
Bar tape £10 (lbs)
Cables £20 (lbs)
Selle Italia SL Tri saddle £11.69 (ribble)
Vision Team 35 comp wheels etc £138 (ribble, half price!)
Homemade rear disk cover £15ish (1mm HIPS plastic sheet, tamiya glue and a black postca paint marker)
Paint, sandpaper, masking tape £40ish

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
20171119_200649.jpg

Custom Ti frame
Hson wheelset
Conti cx speed 35mm tyres
Sram rival 1 crankset 36t
Shimano xt shifter
Shimano xt shadow rear derraulier
Shimano xt hydraulic brakes
Deda flatbar and stem
Fizik saddle

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've stripped down and rebuilt most of my bikes, but not really changed much except the odd derailleur, shifter etc as necessary.

Then just over a year ago I picked up a late 90s FS Marin and decided to have a go at modernising it. Here it was in it's original incarnation - note the lovely yellow 130mm stem!

2016-09-08 18.41.48.jpg

I stripped down the frame and repainted the forks and swingarm. Swapped the triple crankset for a narrow/wide oval single chain ring up front, and swapped the SRAM gripshifters for a nice STX RC shimano trigger shifter and matching mech. Fitted some decent flat pedals, new chain, cassette, and tyres. Then decided to try out my first short stem/wide bars cockpit, which made it handle a damn sight better over the rough stuff.

One day I'll score a better swing arm, shock, and forks off ebay, and upgrade to disc brakes, but for now I'm really happy with it.
20170327_111851.jpg

Top Bottom