Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
porkypete said:
Saddle is a bit "nose up" isn't it?
Somehow the Carradice really suits it, but do you need the rack as well?
The saddle was nose up, i had only just finished putting it together, took the picture and noticed it was, I have now leveled it. The rack is used to carry my gear for work in a pannier bag, the rack is off for running around.

Goldie

Über Member
That's a bobby dazzler - it looks in lovely nick. How old is it?

As promised, some photos of my Viking, out in the daylight on amorning ride:

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

Jezston

Über Member
OOoh pretty!
Would probably want to do something sacreligeous and put STI shifters on it myself, but don't worry I won't touch your bike :sad:
Silver pump is a very nice touch!

Goldie

Über Member
I spent a happy half hour the other night poliching the allumimium pump to a mirror-like shine. It is a lovely bike - when i'm out on it, I feel a bit like I imagine the queen would if she cycled. And was a bloke. And was sweating a fair bit and making unhealthy wheezing noises...

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Old Raleigh Winner

Bought from my neighbour for the pricely sum of £50 in mint condition (used once from brand new in 30 years)

1275117345.JPG

1275117389.JPG

Apaprt from the bar tape / saddle bag and the saddle change everything else is original.

destined to become my touring hack ;)

Norm

GazK

Veteran
A couple of months ago I took delivery of this from a local gentleman:

4592870598_f072f35af5_b.jpg

This is my summer project - to upgrade the bike to a modern/classic all day comfort bike for road and towpath riding. The aim is to give it the benefit of modern tech without losing the classic look of the bike.

Well stage 1 is complete: narrow sakae bars and suicide levers replaced with Nitto Randonnuers, Acor Cross Top levers and Shimano 105 brifters. The Weinmann centre pulls have been replaced with Tektro dual pivots, and the whole lot wrapped in brooks bar tape and hemp twine (much swearing at this point). Here we go:

4669468182_0e1ea93a61_b.jpg

4668844989_063b8711d6_b.jpg

4669470200_7db3f461ba_b.jpg

The next stage is new wheels (handbuilt by me :smile: - the existing bearings are on the way out) and cassette, new rear mech and STI shifting - the brifters aint brifting at the moment.

I'm quite pleased with the look so far, and the handling & braking is hugely improved. What does everyone think?

Goldie

Über Member
That Falcon looks absolutely gorgeous in that dark metallic ith th honey Brooks accessories. Perfect as is:biggrin:

rh100

GazK said:
A couple of months ago I took delivery of this from a local gentleman:

4592870598_f072f35af5_b.jpg

This is my summer project - to upgrade the bike to a modern/classic all day comfort bike for road and towpath riding. The aim is to give it the benefit of modern tech without losing the classic look of the bike.

Well stage 1 is complete: narrow sakae bars and suicide levers replaced with Nitto Randonnuers, Acor Cross Top levers and Shimano 105 brifters. The Weinmann centre pulls have been replaced with Tektro dual pivots, and the whole lot wrapped in brooks bar tape and hemp twine (much swearing at this point). Here we go:

4669468182_0e1ea93a61_b.jpg

4668844989_063b8711d6_b.jpg

4669470200_7db3f461ba_b.jpg

The next stage is new wheels (handbuilt by me :blush: - the existing bearings are on the way out) and cassette, new rear mech and STI shifting - the brifters aint brifting at the moment.

I'm quite pleased with the look so far, and the handling & braking is hugely improved. What does everyone think?

That's a beauty.

Slightly off topic, did you fit the dual pivot brakes in replacement of cantilever brakes? If so, was it straight forward and is there a noticeable improvement?

Top Bottom