Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm a bit slower on it at the moment but I've just had 2 months off cycling. I got knocked of my equilibrium (hence getting a new bike) breaking my shoulder, wrist, middle findger and 2 ribs. Need plates but in my shoulder and middle finger and have only just got back to the stage where I can cycle, so I'm not half as fit as I was a few months ago. At least the women who hit me (pulled out from t-junction onto A road right in front of me) Has had to re-do her test and her insurance is covering everything.

Sorry to hear about your off... hope your in full health asap..:smile:

fossala

Guru
Just to let you know about how it compares to the equilibrium. It's handling isn't as good and doesn't feel as stable out of the saddle. This could be because I have had quite a while away from cycling. It isn't as sporty as the equilibrium though, it's almost a full on touring bike.

nilling

Über Member
Just collected my 'winter hack' Genesis Day 01 Disc
2013-01-18 11.35.02_mini.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Kona honky inc 2012
6owuT.jpg

Just picked it up on Saturday. 105 groupset with ultegra rear mech. bb7 disc brakes. It's a little bit heavier than my old genesis equilibrium but it's more comfortable and the braking is a lot better. Perfect for commuting.

Bought the same bike for my commute in Feb 2012
(Thread HERE)
It does look much better in the flesh then in pics and certainly turns heads.
It is quite a heavy bike, but you will find it's bombproof.
The brakes are a godsend for wet days.
Has now done 6500 commuting miles in all weathers with not a single problem.
Beebo of this parish is also a Kona Honky Inc commuter.

What guards are those?
Can you take a pic of how you got the guards on around the disc brakes.

fossala

Guru
Bought the same bike for my commute in Feb 2012
(Thread HERE)
It does look much better in the flesh then in pics and certainly turns heads.
It is quite a heavy bike, but you will find it's bombproof.
The brakes are a godsend for wet days.
Has now done 6500 commuting miles in all weathers with not a single problem.
Beebo of this parish is also a Kona Honky Inc commuter.

What guards are those?
Can you take a pic of how you got the guards on around the disc brakes.

Yeah, saw that thread, made me commit to it. I managed to get mine for 950 including the mudguards and a full 1 1/2 hour fitting session.

The mudguards are bontrager ones. Here are pictures of how they where fitted (they also did that for free).
The front mudguard was bent, this is needed to clear the disc brake.
UKlji.jpg

qB4Kc.jpg

The rear didn't need any "adjustments".
nnKno.jpg

It's defiantly not a racing bike but it should be very good for commuting and doing lejog in Sep. I will have to get a racing bike next month though to do the more active cycling.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah, saw that thread, made me commit to it. I managed to get mine for 950 including the mudguards and a full 1 1/2 hour fitting session.

The mudguards are bontrager ones. Here are pictures of how they where fitted (they also did that for free).
The front mudguard was bent, this is needed to clear the disc brake.

The rear didn't need any "adjustments".

It's defiantly not a racing bike but it should be very good for commuting and doing lejog in Sep. I will have to get a racing bike next month though to do the more active cycling.

Cheers for the mudguard tip.
Looks like I will be dipping into the old wallet for a pair.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
20120907_170152norta1.jpg

This is my Norta from Belgium. Posted elsewhere but I thought it worth an airing here. From the middle/late eighties. Rides very well. Simplex gears, Stronglight chainset and Shimano hubs.

SS Retro

Just spent an hour reading this thread some lovely 'Steel'.

Rode steel in my teens and early twenty, flirted with Alu on trek hard tail, tried carbon but I don't race and slim tubes just look soooo right.

I really like modern steel bikes, traditional frames with the modern kit look, quite like welded over lugs too.

My Reynolds Steel steed, 'Dawes Mono', sugino messenger 48t, 19t SA free wheel, modern carbon forks with a nice retro curve.

nuts002.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lovely looking bike SS Retro.
Do like the paint scheme.

SS Retro

What do they know huh? ^_^

Just a couple of things I would change if it was my bike.
Black saddle and mudguards.

Saddles on list but keep thinking Honey Brooks or one of Spa cycles own brooks copys with matching bar tape, didn't consider plain black, that's got me thinking of a more modern place to perch my bum.

The silver and black guards work well with the silver fixings,Spokes, chrome freewheel and chain.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Saddles on list but keep thinking Honey Brooks or one of Spa cycles own brooks copys with matching bar tape, didn't consider plain black, that's got me thinking of a more modern place to perch my bum.

The silver and black guards work well with the silver fixings,Spokes, chrome freewheel and chain.

Honey Brooks and matching tape would look very nice indeed.

Top Bottom