Show us your tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I searched but could not find a show us your tandem so I thought I would start one,
This is a 1995 Pashley Prestige I bought yesterday for relative peanuts. The previous owner hardly used it in 25 years, I used a chain checker on both chains only 25% wear, the rims hardly marked at all. I like the fact it has not got Canti brakes. Instead it has Magura Hydraulic rim brakes which is a new one on me, they are excellent.
The bad is that he hung it from the garage roof by ropes and the water trickled down the ropes and rusted the top of the frame quite badly. He then just hand painted the top parts of the frame with hammerite , it stopped the rust but looks really rough. Neither my partner or I have ever rode a tandem so we are expecting a learning curve. We have to wait a while as my partner had a SCAD heart attack 3 weeks ago so will be a few weeks before she can give it a go. I will wait to see if we get on with it before I decide whether to strip and re-paint the frame.

Sharky

Guru
I've posted this one before, with my eldest from a few years ago ....

VJOCK

Über Member
2004 thorn explorer. Youngest now goes out with me as the stoker. (He doesnt trust his

older brother) This was recent ride to local campsite during summer holiday. Previously we have had a weeride mounted at front for eldest ( who is now taller than me) and a chariot 2 kid trailer for the youngest strapped in a car seat strapped into said trailer at the back at the same time. That was hard work!! We also cycled it onto the ferry onroute to dublin with trailer and two kids in it. 10 miles the otherside in lashing irish rain was an experience not to be repeated too often.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
2004 thorn explorer. Youngest now goes out with me as the stoker. (He doesnt trust his View attachment 545461

older brother) This was recent ride to local campsite during summer holiday. Previously we have had a weeride mounted at front for eldest ( who is now taller than me) and a chariot 2 kid trailer for the youngest strapped in a car seat strapped into said trailer at the back at the same time. That was hard work!! We also cycled it onto the ferry onroute to dublin with trailer and two kids in it. 10 miles the otherside in lashing irish rain was an experience not to be repeated too often.

That's a bushy beard! How does he see where he is going?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Dawes Galaxy Twin

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Well here it is, probably the last of the Size 5 Thorn Raven Twin MK II's, we got it in early August this year (2020) in "Kit Form" or as Robin put it "A frame and a box of bits" ;D This was one of the close out "Sale" of the Mark II frames to clear space for the Mark III models, and as such were offered as a complete bike with a few additions above the standard at a considerable saving. As Robin didn't have the size 5 frame built into a bike, I was able to swap out components rather than just have the "standard spec", I also saved a little bit of money (in theory) by building it myself, but spent that on upgrading the Rohloff to the disc brake version

Raven.1024.jpg

Now, don't give me grief about that dangling rear light wire it's just been placed to test out options for permanent placing, and to check I'd made the solder joints correctly :biggrin: Or the front wire twisted round the fork! It is not going to stay that way

Of course, with lockdown, we've not been able to get away for any extended riding and have only managed 320 miles in total on the "nice" Sundays since building it up :'( It has performed faultlessly in those miles though, still tweaking bits and pieces ... Mainly stem height and my hand position.

And this is our old one a 1989 Dawes Super Galaxy Twin, which we had since new.

Daizy.1024.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well here it is, probably the last of the Size 5 Thorn Raven Twin MK II's, we got it in early August this year (2020) in "Kit Form" or as Robin put it "A frame and a box of bits" ;D This was one of the close out "Sale" of the Mark II frames to clear space for the Mark III models, and as such were offered as a complete bike with a few additions above the standard at a considerable saving. As Robin didn't have the size 5 frame built into a bike, I was able to swap out components rather than just have the "standard spec", I also saved a little bit of money (in theory) by building it myself, but spent that on upgrading the Rohloff to the disc brake version

View attachment 560431

Now, don't give me grief about that dangling rear light wire it's just been placed to test out options for permanent placing, and to check I'd made the solder joints correctly :biggrin: Or the front wire twisted round the fork! It is not going to stay that way

Of course, with lockdown, we've not been able to get away for any extended riding and have only managed 320 miles in total on the "nice" Sundays since building it up :'( It has performed faultlessly in those miles though, still tweaking bits and pieces ... Mainly stem height and my hand position.

And this is our old one a 1989 Dawes Super Galaxy Twin, which we had since new.

View attachment 560432

Both very fine looking machines.

What was the reason for changing?

Top Bottom