Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Surely if you want faster speed, you buy a carbon bike!! All creating very disturbing images of men in dark garages with baby oil. :eek:

rb58

Enigma
I like it so much I'd use baby oil on a carbon bike too. If I had one. And if I didn't think it would melt..... ^_^

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
With apologies for the lousy images - it had got dark before we'd finished.

IMGP4785.JPG

IMGP4786.JPG

Santana tandem from 2003 in a sand-blasted finish, S&S couplings and a proprietary Santana coupling on the oval bottom tube. Ultegra STIs, DuraAce triple front, XTR rear mech (11-34 cassette), Hydraulic rear disc brake. All I've done to it so far is replace the pilot's gel saddle with a Brooks titanium - the setup is as on the test ride. The offset between the cranks is absolutely deliberate!

We took this out for a testride and found ourselves bowling along a flat road at evens without really trying - cruising speed on our touring tandem is more like 15mph. The previous owner replaced the stock smallest chainring with something even smaller, so the lowest gear is something ludicrous like 26 x 34. At the top it's about 52 x 11.

The whole thing dismantles into a (large) flight case, given enough time - but it separates into two bits fairly easily. The first thing we've learned is that reconstructing a derailleur transmission is rather trickier than reconstructing a Rohloff transmission.

nr.

Sorry about the appalling image quality - I wasn't deliberately going for the soft-focus look. I probably got some Shimano anti-seize on the lens :smile:
IMG_7276.JPG

Anyhow - about a year after promising a photo of when it was finished, I finally got around to it. I've put about 4000kms on this since building it, and it's been brilliant. Originally had a black fork, but I was offered the one-off blue fork for an absolute steal (the other side is far more spectacular to look at) so had to have it.

• Frame: Early model Sp!n Spitfire mk I. The later ones have a chain pip and slightly different brake bridge.
  • Fork: Sp!n carbon. Commissioned as a one-off for a trade show.
  • Seatpost, stem: Sp!n titanium.
  • Groupset: Sram Apex with 32T cassette.
  • Wheels: Planet-X model B.
The rest of the stuff is pretty standard fare. Fizik Arione saddle, Shimano 105 pedals etc. Would I change anything? Probably. I'm just too busy riding it to do so though. Maybe some posher wheels, but that's about it. The Model-Bs have been great, and have put up with the worst of the potholes that I've been too stupid to avoid. The combination of the Ti frame and seatpost has been a complete revelation in terms of comfort. Highly highly recommended. And no more expensive than a posh carbon jobbie.

JonnyG

I've had this a couple of months now and loving every bit of it.

Van Nicholas Euros frame
Easton Carbon forks
Campagnolo Chorus group
Mavic Open Pro rims with Campagnolo Record hubs
Chris King headset

I will only do this once so exactly as I always dreamed it would be.

Van Nicholas Euros.jpg

JonnyG

It rides beautifully. Stiff but comfortable frame, sharp steering and pretty quick, even with me pedalling it. It helps that I love looking at it too.
I wanted a bike that would last me and I could pass on to my boys. The reality of course is that by the time they are old enough to appreciate it we will probably all be using hoverjets or something like!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That is a lovely looking bike Jonny.
I have ahd my eye on a Van Nic for a long while now and it is looking like it will be my next purchase.
Don't tell my missus but I am looking at Aquilo UDi2. And if I can't raise enough funds then the Euros Ultegra will be my next choice.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That is a lovely looking bike Jonny.
I have ahd my eye on a Van Nic for a long while now and it is looking like it will be my next purchase.
Don't tell my missus but I am looking at Aquilo UDi2. And if I can't raise enough funds then the Euros Ultegra will be my next choice.
No, no and thrice no!!! SRAM Red is the way.....

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I've had this a couple of months now and loving every bit of it.

Van Nicholas Euros frame
Easton Carbon forks
Campagnolo Chorus group
Mavic Open Pro rims with Campagnolo Record hubs
Chris King headset

I will only do this once so exactly as I always dreamed it would be.

View attachment 7956

My, My, My

Clean, crisp and stunning.

I have carbon, and never quite got the whole titanium look, but maybe..............

Blue Manc

Van Tuyl - Ti frame with carbon rear triangle. Put together with mostly spares box parts, except new shiftyers, brakes and cassette.

Van+Tuyl.jpg

Top Bottom