Show us your winter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gds58

Über Member
Here is my winter hack :P enjoy :smile:

10492119_10204879621378515_6085289923711337727_n.jpg
That's not a 'Winter Bike' it's a summer bike that you happen to use in the winter. It has no mudguards so you wouldn't be welcome on any group/club rides round here during the winter, mudguards are mandatory on a proper winter bike. Not just for keeping the rider clean and dry but for the sake of everybody else riding with you!

jack smith

Veteran
Only if the people you ride with complain alot... Suck it up i say if its bad weather expect to get wet and dirty its part of cycling.
A winter bike is a bike you use over winter, usually your spare or not your best bike you dont mind getting scruffy it could be anything.

Last edited:

gds58

Über Member
Only if the people you ride with complain alot... Suck it up i say if its bad weather expect to get wet and dirty its part of cycling
Of course I expect to get wet and dirty in the winter and I have done so for many many years but most clubs will have a rule which dictates that you must have mudguards, usually from end of October through to end of February. It's not big or clever to just 'suck it up' as you say it's plain bloody selfish and ignorant of others in your group.
There seems to be a new breed of 'cyclist' that is under the impression that your 'winter' bike is another race bike that you don't mind too much if it gets a bit dirty. Most of them are completely missing the point of winter training and riding. Jack, you should know better, you've been around racing for a good many years and presumably with various clubs. I'd take a guess that you now ride alone quite a lot!

jack smith

Veteran
No I ride a "race bike" I'm winter cause that's my style of riding and the bike I want to train on, nobody had ever complained in a winter ride and no one I've ride with has used mudguards and I've never had an issue either my point is a winter bike can be anything

gds58

Über Member
No I ride a "race bike" I'm winter cause that's my style of riding and the bike I want to train on, nobody had ever complained in a winter ride and no one I've ride with has used mudguards and I've never had an issue either my point is a winter bike can be anything
I like the way that you edited your first post AFTER my comments by adding the second line and changing it's point completely. Please don't try to bullshit Jack it was obvious what you meant first off. Thanks for the advice but if I want to get properly wet and dirty I'll go and tough it out in a Cyclo-Cross race.

jack smith

Veteran
I've never changed anything to change it's meaning or after you've commented. You can see the timings on the post so don't even bother trying to accuse me of things.
I've told you exactly what I mean and I stick by it as I'm 100% entitled to my own opinion :laugh::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm using my Kona fitted with M+s at the moment but I'm thinking of repurposing the OH's bike. She never rides it and certainly won't touch it before April now so I thought I'd look into putting some spiked tyres on it. It's in pretty good nick and works well for a cheap mountain bike. The frame's too small for me and it would be a pain to pedal but my feet would reach the ground easily in case of emergency. It'd only be doing 6 miles each way on it.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
My new winter ride...a Genesis Flyer running 46/17 fixed with mudguards and 25c 4seasons.

Attachments

• flyer2.jpg
    flyer2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 98

gds58

Über Member
I'm 100% entitled to my own opinion and if you don't like it well I really couldn't give a f*ck :laugh::laugh:
Clearly!! That was partly my point, thank you for acknowledging that. In response to the bit where you claim not to have edited your post after my first comment may highlight your lack of mathematical skills as your edit was in fact 20 minutes AFTER my first post, but hey ho as you say you're entitled to be selfish and ignorant if you want to!

jack smith

Veteran
Clearly!! That was partly my point, thank you for acknowledging that. In response to the bit where you claim not to have edited your post after my first comment may highlight your lack of mathematical skills as your edit was in fact 20 minutes AFTER my first post, but hey ho as you say you're entitled to be selfish and ignorant if you want to!
Wow you really are something... What do you think I'm trying to edit in/out do you think I'm afraid to say what I want it something? Don't flatter yourself mate Just the fact that you put breed of 'cyclist' just shows your intolerant to other peoples ways if nothing else. anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist and if there opinions or ways are different to yours well you need to get over it.
Mine and others winter bikes don't have Mud guards they are exactly what you said a road bike we don't mins gettin abit dirty there is no formal definition to what a winterbike is.

gds58

Über Member
there is no formal definition to what a winterbike is.

Actually you will find that a majority of clubs DO have a formal definition of a 'Winter Bike' written into their club rules and details of how to comply with that ruling. However it is obvious from your comments that rules are something you have little or no regard for, but 'each to their own' I suppose. Thanks for your input though, I think I'm done with this now.
Enjoy your riding.

Top Bottom