Shy cat whispering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

machew

Veteran
The naming of cats is a difficult matter
It isn't just one of your holiday games
You may think at first I'm mad as a hatter
When I tell you a cat must have three different names

First of all, there's the name that the family use daily
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey
All of them are sensible, everyday names

But I tell you a cat needs a name that's particular
A name that's peculiar and more dignified
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular?
Or spread out his whiskers or cherish his pride?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo or Coricopat
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum
Names that never belong to more than one cat

But above and beyond there's still one name left over
And that is the name that you will never guess
The name that no human research can discover
But the cat himself knows and will never confess

When you notice a cat in profound meditation
The reason, I tell you, is always the same
His mind is engaged in rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name

His ineffable, effable, effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular name
Name, name, name, name, name, name

02GF74

Über Member
P1000147a.jpg
my 2 were very timid - hid away behind the curtain for over 24 hours but after 3 days were acting normal,

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
The naming of cats is a difficult matter
It isn't just one of your holiday games
You may think at first I'm mad as a hatter
When I tell you a cat must have three different names

First of all, there's the name that the family use daily
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey
All of them are sensible, everyday names

But I tell you a cat needs a name that's particular
A name that's peculiar and more dignified
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular?
Or spread out his whiskers or cherish his pride?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo or Coricopat
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum
Names that never belong to more than one cat

But above and beyond there's still one name left over
And that is the name that you will never guess
The name that no human research can discover
But the cat himself knows and will never confess

When you notice a cat in profound meditation
The reason, I tell you, is always the same
His mind is engaged in rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name

His ineffable, effable, effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular name
Name, name, name, name, name, name

I like that.

We're still working on his everyday name cos he may not be a Dougie after all. Claud is coming into the running now!

I got in this evening and he came and said hello, winding himself around my legs and he sitting on my knee for a while. Naturally, he got some food for his trouble. Now he's sat in his cat carrier thing contemplating his secret name, seeming relaxed and happy. I'm surprised and made-up how quickly he's settling in.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Sorry for your loss, they really do leave a gap when they go. We lost Harry last Autumn and there was a regular pang coming home from work, thinking 'cat food out' and then remembering there's no need.
We couldn't replace Harry but said we'd think about getting another after Christmas. As you can see, when the time came we could hardly wait.

Thanks for that RedRider. Sorry to hear about Harry, your new cat looks gorgeous though!

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Introducing Bo...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Five days later he's settling in. We went by the book, keeping him one room until he seemed confident and happy. Then we opened the living room door so he could explore the hall and kitchen. He's still a bit scared about going through the door, IM not sure he's made it to the kitchen yet.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
So he's relaxed and happy in the house, loves to play, stretch...
image.jpg

...and look cute ...

image.jpg

On Friday he's going the vets for the rest of his jabs and then we have to think about letting him out of the house on his own for the first time. Him being a 'shy' cat we were advised to keep him in for five weeks until he's fully at home in case he gets spooked, runs off and disappears for good. I think he's settled and would wanna come back tho' so tempted to do this a week early but it'll be a bit scary for us. Any advice?

Globalti

Legendary Member
It is said that there are 7 million domestic cats in Britain and 10 million families who think they own a cat so be prepared for him to be out for quite long periods of time and then to come back licking his chops. He might put on weight surprisingly fast as well.

It will take him quite some time to establish his mousing rights in and around your garden and there might be a few night time fights. If you don't let him out at night you will keep receiving visits from other cats checking out the food situation, the mousing etc. Our older cat has been staying in at nights this winter as it's been so wet and it's remarkable how her territory has shrunk; there are two neighbours' cats who now come boldly right into our garden.

Bryony

Veteran
So nice to see he's settled in well, it is surprising how quickly they do settle.

When we got Jackson he was about 12/14 weeks and quite nervous, he went straight under the sofa and stayed there. I had a half day at work the next day and when I got home at lunch time he was still under the sofa, he was meowing and I could see him peeking out, I just sat quietly watching tv and eventually he came out and came to see me and he was all over me and since then he's been a major mummy's boy!!

TVC

He looks wonderful.

My only advice when it comes to showing him the outdoors is to pick a day when the weather is benign, not too cold and no wind. The first time we opened the door for our cat it was a bit blustery, just as she was getting used to there being no ceiling a big gust caught her and some leaves shot past. She decided the outdoors wasn't for her, and it took a good few months to get her happy being out in a wind.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I took in rescue cats from the Cat Protection League that were basically semi-feral. They lived under the sofa for about a week, and took a long time before they fully relaxed. Now, of course, I'm lucky if I'm allowed a small space on the sofa.

Just leave them to it, let them come to you.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
2897345 said:
Yes, accept that you have to take a chance on it, or keep him in permanently.
He's deffo going out at some point , there's only so long I could live with a litter tray indoors! However, just after posting about whether to let him out we got a call from Battersea - do they monitor this forum?? - and asked us how he was getting on. I mentioned my plan to leave the window open for him and next day we got a call from the 're-homing' person. My partner took the call and was steered strongly against letting him out just yet. He'd probably be fine but I guess we'll be cautious a little longer.
It is said that there are 7 million domestic cats in Britain and 10 million families who think they own a cat so be prepared for him to be out for quite long periods of time and then to come back licking his chops. He might put on weight surprisingly fast as well.

It will take him quite some time to establish his mousing rights in and around your garden and there might be a few night time fights. If you don't let him out at night you will keep receiving visits from other cats checking out the food situation, the mousing etc. Our older cat has been staying in at nights this winter as it's been so wet and it's remarkable how her territory has shrunk; there are two neighbours' cats who now come boldly right into our garden.
It'll be interesting to see how the territory works out. As it goes there's far fewer cat's around in the gardens these last months so he may get to establish a bit of territory. Did I mention he already caught and killed two mice in the house?? We didn't even know we had any.
He looks wonderful.

My only advice when it comes to showing him the outdoors is to pick a day when the weather is benign, not too cold and no wind. The first time we opened the door for our cat it was a bit blustery, just as she was getting used to there being no ceiling a big gust caught her and some leaves shot past. She decided the outdoors wasn't for her, and it took a good few months to get her happy being out in a wind.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
He looks wonderful.

Aye, thoink this is one of the things we're cautious about.Before the call from Battersea I'd opened our window a bit and he became so alert, intrigued by the fresh air but clearly wary of the slightest noiseincluding the wind in the tree which made him back away from the window. Apparently he lived in a high rise flat before and never went outdoors. We'll wait for a nice day, not least so we can be in the garden with him and not freeze ourselves!
He looks great.
I see he has started your training already.

GC
Tell me about it! Each evening he works us through the regular routines. 'Hold the the bright green fish there while I go behind the settee, crouch down for a bit then pounce. OK, do that 10 more times then we'll move onto your next exercise.'

Top Bottom