Sick of cars! Lack of indicating, pavement mounting,lazy drivers etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok some will say this another thread about me Accy Cyclist rather than about things in general. but i'm sat here bored,a little depressed and in some pain, so why not start a thread? If you don't want to read it or contribute please ignore it and don't get personal:smile:.

I'm sick of cars and the way they'r being driven. There are so many on the road and it's only going to get worse. Don't tell me they're all doing necessary journeys and they have to go by car, because i can't accept it. Cars are being driven just for the sake of it. For example the tool next door to me drives his car everyday of the year, even Christmas Day. Why you may ask? Because he thinks the bugger will seize up if it's not moved everyday maybe? The other day i was waiting to cross a road. It took me 5 bloody minutes, even then i had to peg it as the traffic only stopped passing for a few seconds. Have you ever been out walking and thought to yourself what's that noise? Then you realise that "noise" is silence? When the traffic stops it seems so weird.
I fear that i'll be hit by a car when i'm out walking or cycling. Especially now that not using indicators and mounting the pavement has become socially acceptable. Another example of horrible driving happened the other day when a car mounted the pavement. The driver had about half his car on the pavement when he approached me. He pipped his horn at me. I indicated to him to wind the window down. What are you using your horn for i asked. You're in my way, i want to get my car fully on the pavement so i can unload some stuff into my house he replied. This dick actually thought he had the right to make a pedestrian walking on a pavement move for so he could park his car fully on that pavement! :ohmy:

Your thoughts about the number of cars and how they're being driven please!

Last edited:

macp

Guru
Firstly sorry you are in pain hope it stops soon. I agree traffic is increasing massively year on year it gets me a little sad when some of the once quiet back lanes are now busy with cars as another new estate has been built eating into the lovely green landscape (NIMBY moi ?). I also agree a lot of dicks on the road with no real idea how they could easily kill/destroy a cyclist. I try to be aware of traffic around me and ride defensively but honestly I have stopped caring so much about whether somebody will hit me. I used to get obsessive about that but it made me tense and I could not concentrate.

iggibizzle

Itl soon be quicker to walk 5 miles than drive. In my town anyway (Blackpool). Utter traffic chaos at all times. No one needs to drive everywhere. (Apart from some obvious exceptions)

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Have you ever been out walking and thought to yourself what's that noise? Then you realise that "noise" is silence? When the traffic stops it seems so weird. I

Haha I can relate to that- I genuinely do notice and think to myself "wow what is that...?" before realising it's just the absence of that omni-present hum and vrum of huge steel boxes chugging up and down the road!

There are some temporary lights that have been up near me while a road is being repaired. Me and a friend cycle that way on our way to 5-a-side each week. Because of the lights (they take a long time to change), shortly after going through we get several minutes with no cars passing at all and can cycle side by side and chat, on the main road, which is nice and very unusual.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
This last couple of weeks in and around Manchester have been dickhead central.

I don't normally get riled or take it to heart but I think the council have been putting something in the water supply recently to bring out drivers inner daffodil.

macp

Guru
I find myself getting annoyed when I hear a car coming up behind me on what always used to be a very quiet lane in the middle of nowhere. "where the fook are you going and why are you going this way".

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Firstly sorry you are in pain hope it stops soon. I agree traffic is increasing massively year on year it gets me a little sad when some of the once quiet back lanes are now busy with cars as another new estate has been built eating into the lovely green landscape (NIMBY moi ?). I also agree a lot of dicks on the road with no real idea how they could easily kill/destroy a cyclist. I try to be aware of traffic around me and ride defensively but honestly I have stopped caring so much about whether somebody will hit me. I used to get obsessive about that but it made me tense and I could not concentrate.

On the subject of new estates. In the nearby borough of Ribble Valley they're building something like 350 houses over 3 years. It's still a favourite area for cyclists because of the quiet roads and views, but i've noticed in the last year how those quiet roads are becoming less quiet. If you look at the drives on these new estates they all seem to have 2 or 3 cars. Once of a day you could pull out safely from the kerb on a bike in a few seconds but now you have to wait a lot longer as the traffic just seems to b a non stop convoy.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I find myself getting annoyed when I hear a car coming up behind me on what always used to be a very quiet lane in the middle of nowhere. "where the fook are you going and why are you going this way".
I thought it was only me who asks that question in my head when annoyed with the traffic. Yes, where the hell are you going and couldn't you walk, cycle or catch a bus there you lazy git i ask??

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Itl soon be quicker to walk 5 miles than drive. In my town anyway (Blackpool). Utter traffic chaos at all times. No one needs to drive everywhere. (Apart from some obvious exceptions)

My mum was in Blackpool hospital early this year. I decided to park up somewhere and walk to the hospital rather than use their car park. The nearest parking space was a mile away! All around the zoo and Stanley Park is chocker!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
It sounds as if you are spending too much time amongst the motorised dickheads in Accrington. Why not head out (once you're feeling better) into the country? A fellow Accrington resident of yours has this website; take a bit of time to feast your eyes on the stunning photos he's taken all around your area:

http://www.idonohoe.com/moorland-gallery.htm

Edit: I'm in one of those pictures; it was taken a long time ago. I'll give you a clue: Kona!

iggibizzle

My mum was in Blackpool hospital early this year. I decided to park up somewhere and walk to the hospital rather than use their car park. The nearest parking space was a mile away! All around the zoo and Stanley Park is chocker!!

That's actually a pretty traffic free area. But yea nowhere to park for a long way around the hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom