Sick of cars! Lack of indicating, pavement mounting,lazy drivers etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Odd trip to the shops by bike today. I could see the nose tail motorists from my route for 3 miles and I'd bet the queue continued to the next A road split, 5 miles further on. Most of them probably thought it was a good day for a needless drive and got an hour or so sitting in a queue instead. Why do they do it? They should have gone out by bike instead :laugh:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Bloody well isn't and never will be, mind your own business and stay out of other peoples.

Probably best for you to just go back to your inane polls about whether you should get dressed or not, simple things like that seem more your level.

Touchy touchy. Do you show the same aggression when driving around aimlessly?

In light of this @Accy cyclist ...i have no choice but to retract this...

Apologies @outlash ...the OP clearly does have issues with everyone's car but his own. :wacko:
and I have no choice but to react to this, the point that is being made made is unnecessary journeys, it is reckoned there is 150 years of oil left (give or take) though the fall out of it running out will be felt long before that.
I know someone shes 2 1/2 years old her grand children will be living in a world without crude oil, now hopefully we as a species will have found better ways to create the energy we need by then, (and don't get on about energy efficient cars as most of these are still powered by fossil fuels from power stations)
Just take a look at this chart though I suspect many on here don't really needed to.
zFacts-CO2-Temp.gif
Today we are peaking at over 400ppm CO2 the release of methane is now becoming an issue this has also increased and is 4 times as potent as CO2 as a green house gas, the global mean temperature fluctuates for many reasons, but the chart clearly shows the that the increase has been rapid since the 60's an increase in car ownership increase in unnecessary global travel increase in electrical consumer products both in use and manufacturer I could go on, the point is are we to remain selfish or think about the future for our grand children and theirs or continue as we are, it us that will make the difference not governments.
However I do feel it is too late, the rate of glacial melt is unprecedented and sea level rise is currently at a mean of 0.4mm a year or which means a place I ride through not 5 miles from here could be on the coast (10m a.s.l.) within 200 years, the current coast line is some 45-60 miles away.
presentday-sea-level-rise-a-cazenave-12-638.jpg

Leisure driving has no effect, please do go pull the other might even make me laugh, and I haven't even started on plastics and their possible effect on insect life, anyone notice this year how few insects there have been.

well there is a difference in that leasure driving is using up precious fossil fuels, directly kiling other road users (more miles = more deaths) as well as contributing to global warming. Leasure cycling is negligable harm in comparison. Not that I don't drive to go on holiday, even if I've rarely if ever "gone for a drive" but the difference is pretty clear cut

Its mostly known as climate change (which is what climates do, even on other planets) now. This is just in case that if the climate goes colder, rather than warmer, the self righteous still have a weapon to use.

and I have no choice but to react to this, the point that is being made made is unnecessary journeys, it is reckoned there is 150 years of oil left (give or take) though the fall out of it running out will be felt long before that.
I know someone shes 2 1/2 years old her grand children will be living in a world without crude oil, now hopefully we as a species will have found better ways to create the energy we need by then, (and don't get on about energy efficient cars as most of these are still powered by fossil fuels from power stations)
Just take a look at this chart though I suspect many on here don't really needed to.
View attachment 143670
Today we are peaking at over 400ppm CO2 the release of methane is now becoming an issue this has also increased and is 4 times as potent as CO2 as a green house gas, the global mean temperature fluctuates for many reasons, but the chart clearly shows the that the increase has been rapid since the 60's an increase in car ownership increase in unnecessary global travel increase in electrical consumer products both in use and manufacturer I could go on, the point is are we to remain selfish or think about the future for our grand children and theirs or continue as we are, it us that will make the difference not governments.
However I do feel it is too late, the rate of glacial melt is unprecedented and sea level rise is currently at a mean of 0.4mm a year or which means a place I ride through not 5 miles from here could be on the coast (10m a.s.l.) within 200 years, the current coast line is some 45-60 miles away.
View attachment 143672

Leisure driving has no effect, please do go pull the other might even make me laugh, and I haven't even started on plastics and their possible effect on insect life, anyone notice this year how few insects there have been.

Yes. I bought myself an electric fly bat.

pauldavid

Veteran
Touchy touchy. Do you show the same aggression when driving around aimlessly?

I was going to start a poll when i read this to help me make answer a question I had in my mind, then I just spent 30 seconds thinking and realised I didn't need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RideLikeTheStig and those that use the excuse about climate change being natural which it is, what is referred to as global warming is generally referred to as what our species is doing to compand a possible problem, the earth has been warmer and colder (much much colder, Snowball Earth when the entire planet was covered in ice), the Sun is variable and has a major impact on climate (11 year sunspots I could go on about this), however the issue that is a concern is the rate at which CO2 and Methane are increasing CO2 has increased by approx 30% in the last 130 years over a pretty standard base line, at no point in the past as far as can be made out has this happened and the concern is what might happen.
Einstein once said without bees the planet has 4 years, its well known the bees are in decline, natural or from our actions, plastics and insects some plastics as they brake down give of certain pheromones which interrupt the reproduction cycle of insects.
Told you we've f***** it up.

@outlash its know that the sun has an 11 year cycle when the sun has more sunspots (more active) its warmer less spots cooler, what is less well know are longer term cycles I believe there is a 90 year cycle and one of 400 years or so, the 400 year cycle is possibly linked with both the mini ice-age in Europe (at least) of the 17th cent and the period in the 13th cent were poor summers were recorded, the last one (17th cent) it is know that over a period of about 60 years there were very few sunpots recorded known as the Maunder minimum. If the 400 year cycle is correct it is possible that it had some barring on the drive of the Vikings south in the 8-9th cent, though I have never come across evidence to suggest as much.

anyway its going a bit of topic.

pauldavid

Veteran
@outlash its know that the sun has an 11 year cycle when the sun has more sunspots (more active) its warmer less spots cooler, what is less well know are longer term cycles I believe there is a 90 year cycle and one of 400 years or so, the 400 year cycle is possibly linked with both the mini ice-age in Europe (at least) of the 17th cent and the period in the 13th cent were poor summers were recorded, the last one (17th cent) it is know that over a period of about 60 years there were very few sunpots recorded known as the Maunder minimum. If the 400 year cycle is correct it is possible that it had some barring on the drive of the Vikings south in the 8-9th cent, though I have never come across evidence to suggest as much.

Those long winter nights must just fly by in your house!

Every little helps, we should all stop using the internet.
I am looking at cheaper (energy wise) graphics cards as the one I currently use is too powerful for the needs of this system, I would use the onboard but it doesn't support widescreen resolutions, base system uses approx 70-90wats with the current card 150-170watts (per hr) looking at cheaper systems altogether but trying to justify the outlay cost wise to how long to get that money back without losing to much in performance, my other system for photo editing & rendering only gets used when its needed.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
This thread seems to have served its time and, as it now appears to be heading into Climate Change territory, it is time to Close it.

Should you wish to discuss Climate Change, Global Warming etc, there are lots of opportunities over in SC&P.

You have been warned ... ;) :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom