Sick of cars! Lack of indicating, pavement mounting,lazy drivers etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you haven't already you should give the current motorcycle test a go, one of the biggest fails is forgetting to turn off the indicators, unlike cars, motorcycles don't have self cancelling indicators, they other big fail is forgetting to carry out shoulder checks or life savers, I reckon that cyclist could learn a great deal from motorcycle training. I passed my DAS four years ago, its the best training for the road that you can get, it even improved my car driving.
I did motor cycle training when I was 16-17, I did my HGV in 2004, for the record I passed both first time, and on the HGV with only 2 minors, and the theory test one of the highest at the time in Gillingham.
@DaveReading I was quoting what the instructors said, we did debt the issue a little, because in your HGV you are taught to indicate even when you think no-one is looking.
@Tanis8472 I regulaly do the theory test either on line or from dvd, and on my book shelve a current highway code, but my short term memory isn't what it was.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't comment on drivers who don't indicate, mount pavements etc as that is not me as a rule and I try to drive in a legal and considerate manner.

However, I can comment on why I make so many car journeys.

It is mainly because I enjoy driving in the same way that on another day I may enjoy riding my bike. Sometimes I'm driving to nowhere just because I can and I enjoy, when I go out on my bike I generally ride to nowhere in particular as well.

So in summary, I can drive if I want to in the same way you can ride when you want to and it's none of your business where I'm going

So in summary, I can drive if I want to in the same way you can ride when you want to and it's none of your business where I'm going

Bloody well is, when you're adding to the clogged up roads, just for the fun of it. Your type will be out in force this sunny Sunday. Driving like lemmings just for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The missus and I both have company cars which are both obviously required by what we do for a living. One of the downsides is that, if we want to go on a jaunt at the weekend, it sorta feels a bit like a busmans holiday.
We bought a Mazda MX5. It spends most of it's time under a cover in the garage. The sun's out today, so we might just get it out and drive aimlessly round the Dales with the roof down, cos that's what we bought it for.
Can't see anything wrong with that.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The missus and I both have company cars which are both obviously required by what we do for a living. One of the downsides is that, if we want to go on a jaunt at the weekend, it sorta feels a bit like a busmans holiday.
We bought a Mazda MX5. It spends most of it's time under a cover in the garage. The sun's out today, so we might just get it out and drive aimlessly round the Dales with the roof down, cos that's what we bought it for.

I bought an Audi 80 Convertible about 4 years ago. It was a bit of fun driving with the top down but the novelty soon wore off. Every time i saw a cyclist i'd end up wishing i was on his bike rather than sat behind a wheel driving aimlessly. If i'd bought it for everyday necessary journeys i'd probably still have it, but i couldn't justify the cost of keeping it just so i could have the occasional drive around with the top down.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I bought an Audi 80 Convertible about 4 years ago. It was a bit of fun driving with the top down but the novelty soon wore off. Every time i saw a cyclist i'd end up wishing i was on his bike rather than sat behind a wheel driving aimlessly. If i'd bought it for everyday necessary journeys i'd probably still have it, but i couldn't justify the cost of keeping it just so i could have the occasional drive around with the top down.
It's easily justifiable in our world.
It's paid for.
Costs peanuts to run.
Mazda legendary reliability.
MOT annually £35 (always passes).
Road tax £16ish/month
35 mpg

We get decent use out of it. Been to Italy three times and driven aimlessly round there too. Touring the Alps in a drophead should be on everyone's bucket list.

I suppose I'm just trying to make the point that leisure motoring is a valid pursuit.

However I also get annoyed with people being lazy in their everyday lives.
Why the need to park next to the supermarket door. Why can't kids walk or cycle to school? Most of them are fat and could do with the exercise. Etc. Etc.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's paid for.
Costs peanuts to run.
Road tax £16ish/month
35 mpg

We get decent use out of it. Been to Italy three times and driven aimlessly round there too. Touring the Alps in a drophead should be on everyone's bucket list.

I suppose I'm just trying to make the point that leisure motoring is a valid pursuit.

Why the need to park next to the supermarket door. Why can't kids walk or cycle to school? Most of them are fat and could do with the exercise. Etc. Etc.

Stop!:stop: Don't call anybodies kid fat in a derogatory manner on here! I called someone for being so and received hate mail!;)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When I was at school there were only about 6 fat kids out of 360-odd.
Summat's changed hasn't it?

When i was waiting in the A&E waiting room after my knocked off incident i saw this family walk in. The dad had a beer belly so big he was leaning back to balance himself. Two of their four children were clearly overweight. As soon as they saw the crisps, chocolate vending machine they started playing up. The girl threw a tantrum till mum bought her a chocolate bar. She ate it in about 5 minutes then threw another tantrum till mum bought her a packet of crisps. After eating them she wanted more. Finally the mother said to the girl no you've had enough. You wont want your McDonalds, as you'll be full!:rolleyes:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

I've promised myself one of those at some point in the not too distant future. Work needs rule one out at the moment, but it's on my list of must haves. A Lotus Elan that doesn't fall to bits, what's not to like?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I've promised myself one of those at some point in the not too distant future. Work needs rule one out at the moment, but it's on my list of must haves. A Lotus Elan that doesn't fall to bits, what's not to like?
Even older ones can still be very good. Our previous one was a 2004 model with 20K on the clock, owned by a doctors wife. Brilliant car. Bought it for £4750.

It's paid for.
Costs peanuts to run.
Road tax £16ish/month
35 mpg

If you have kids and aimlessly drive around you have no concern for theirs or the future of our species (and the rest of the planet)
When I was at school there were only about 6 fat kids out of 360-odd.
Summat's changed hasn't it?
Yes excessive use of the motor car from running kids to school to being afraid to allow them out because of the increased traffic of which having three cars between two of you makes you high on the list.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes excessive use of the motor car from running kids to school to being afraid to allow them out because of the increased traffic of which having three cars between two of you makes you high on the list.
Judging from the number of overweight (Even obese) cyclists one sees out and about today I have my doubts about how beneficial exercise is in keeping slim. Modern scientific opinion seems to be moving towards identifying the cause as the amount of sugar added to food, something which has increased alarmingly over the past 50 years.

Today's sportive types do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the cake stop going by the threads on cycling forums, which would explain the "Fat man in lycra" group.

@Smokin Joe I agree and other factors come into play as well like computer games over meeting friends for a kick about ect. However at 40 cals or so a mile and doing 100+ miles a week thats a pound a week in any ones books, and we are probably forgetting possibly the biggest weight gain in adults alcohol.
I personally can't afford to lose to much more weight being under 11st now and 6ft, but I am not really eating enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Smokin Joe I agree and other factors come into play as well like computer games over meeting friends for a kick about ect. However at 40 cals or so a mile and doing 100+ miles a week thats a pound a week in any ones books, and we are probably forgetting possibly the biggest weight gain in adults alcohol.
I personally can't afford to lose to much more weight being under 11st now and 6ft, but I am not really eating enough.

I daren't weigh myself these days.i'm 6ft but the last time i looked i was just over 10 stone. No matter how i try i can not gain weight. Some said it was due to my 150 miles a week cycling but i haven't ridden for nearly 3 weeks and i can tell i haven't put any weight back on. I have 4 of these a day, god knows what i'd weigh if i didn't take them.https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/ens...s02IgqRlp6M6VZ4STPud8wrtHDbrC9zHQGBoC_33w_wcB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom