Sick of one bloody woman not looking when she gets out her car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I braked and pulled over tonight, along with other traffic to let a fuzzmobile go past with all the flashy blue lighty things and sirens. And yet again I looked in my mirror in time to see the car behind me assume that I shouldn't be braking for no reason they can fathom and nearly squish my cute little red car (which I'm protective of as it's only 2 weeks old :ninja:).

Conclusion? There's dozy arses all over the place on the edge of their next calamity, and I've got nice things to do with my life, so I'm gonna look after myself as best I can and let them get on with it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
A friend of mine, many years ago, had a similar problem with another driver local to him.

He decided, one day, that the next time it happened he would emergency stop close enough that the door couldn't be shut until he had remonstrated with the other driver.

The next time it happened my friend did exactly that, except he timed it wrong and took the door off its hinges!

It never happened again though.:whistle:

A friendly word might be a better way though.

thom

____
You have reason to be concerned but as other's have stated, the letter is too long.
In the first paragraph you've described the whole problem and started to become upset, which you have a right to be but won't help make her change behaviour.

"Dear xxx, this is just a friendly note to say that after several close passes, I am concerned that when you open your door into the road, it endangers other road users in a way that could be particularly hazardous to cyclists and motorbikes. I hope you don't take offence by me pointing this out but will be more mindful in future."

Does it need to be longer ?

geo

Your concerns are valid however if it were me I would go and speak to her. A rant on a letter whilst very humerous for fellow cyclists to read on a forum will serve no purpose in changing the drivers poor driving skills.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No letter of this sort should exceed three paragraphs; introduce, explain, propose. End of. My eyes glazed over as soon as I saw yours and she will scan it, see a few key words and take massive offence. You've put your thoughts on paper, now go and have a friendly chat with her, you never know, she may turn out to be very nice and even a good neighbour at future times of need. Call her madam and greet her politely, keep your voice low, don't rant, stay cool and be extremely polite.

Cubist

Still wavin'
No letter of this sort should exceed three paragraphs; introduce, explain, propose. End of. My eyes glazed over as soon as I saw yours and she will scan it, see a few key words and take massive offence. You've put your thoughts on paper, now go and have a friendly chat with her, you never know, she may turn out to be very nice and even a good neighbour at future times of need. Call her madam and greet her politely, keep your voice low, don't rant, stay cool and be extremely polite.
and then piss in her shoes.

Don't you come on here with your bloody sensible advice nonsense, we want quality long-winded ranting.

green1

Über Member
Brilliant - utterly brilliant.

Only an Englishman can have a rant and then write it in a letter.

Love it. :rofl:
You've clearly not seen some of the letters and emails I've sent to companies then.

Judderz

I’m reasonably sure you’d not like to be prosecuted for the offence as well. Death by Dangerous Driving generally doesn’t go down well when people ask if you have a criminal record.

Is it classed as dangerous driving if she has parked the car, engine off and is getting out the vehicle?

theclaud

Openly Marxist

No need to overdo it.

Crankarm

Guru
This woman has obviously left an impression on you, enough for you to write a long letter.

Why not deliver it in person?

Take some one with you in case things go pear shaped. You don't want to be accused of stuff like stalking.

paul04

Über Member
Just avoid her, you know who she is, what she drives and that she will NOT look.

Good advice.
If you do put that note on her car, things might escalate, just set off a couple of minutes sooner, or a few minutes later, go a different way if you can. There are enough idiots on the road, we don't need to add to it by antagonizing people.

Top Bottom