Sid Mottram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just back from collecting this 1950's Sid Mottram .

Some nice original bits is constrictor lamp bracket , Reynolds lugged stem , suicide front mechanism bracket and Williams chainset .

Currently set up as a fixie .

Going to get some fresh grease and consumables then ride treatment .

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Shame Sid didn't cut the tubes down a bit.

pawl

Legendary Member
Now there’s a name that conjures up the past.When I first started cycling we didn’t have any what I would call proper cycling shops in Loughborough Saturdays was usually a trip to Leicester to Sid Motrams he had two shops in Leicester As well as Sid Motrams there was Leedhams Cedric Clayton.

Bit of a bind if I only wanted a pair of shoe plate but always enjoyed the ride and the chat.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bit of a roller coaster early morning tinkering session today .

Removed the old black bar tape that covered the stem all over to find red flaking rust that I am sure @Illaveago will be along soon to advise some lemon juice to revive the chrome ^_^.

Cleaned up the bottom bracket area to check out the stampings and found 3624 with a separate 3 or 8 so not sure if that's a Wally Green or Mercian .

Date code on the Williams crank ring is AX ie 1957 .

Oh and thankfully the stem slid out with no issues and I breathed a sigh of relief.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Bit of a roller coaster early morning tinkering session today .

View attachment 488123

Removed the old black bar tape that covered the stem all over to find red flaking rust that I am sure @Illaveago will be along soon to advise some lemon juice to revive the chrome ^_^.
View attachment 488124

Cleaned up the bottom bracket area to check out the stampings and found 3624 with a separate 3 or 8 so not sure if that's a Wally Green or Mercian .
View attachment 488125

Date code on the Williams crank ring is AX ie 1957 .

Oh and thankfully the stem slid out with no issues and I breathed a sigh of relief.
You are a braver man than l sir , hats off to you :notworthy:

Sometimes first impressions can be a bit misleading! But with a bit of faith , some degreasing , de rusting and a good polish, things can look a lot better.
I've encountered the "What have I done ?" feeling when I went to collect a bike before. But after a good clean and polish it turned out to be a very nice bike .
I look forward to see the sparkling end result .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sometimes first impressions can be a bit misleading! But with a bit of faith , some degreasing , de rusting and a good polish, things can look a lot better.
I've encountered the "What have I done ?" feeling when I went to collect a bike before. But after a good clean and polish it turned out to be a very nice bike .
I look forward to see the sparkling end result .

I have no worries about the bike at all it was just a shame that the stem is soooo rusty.

The bell should clean up nicely . :whistle:

Why clean what works

Top Bottom