Sid Mottram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Hissing Sid !

I see spell check is working.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Evil things, unless you have a cotter press. Often fitted dry at the factory and utterly seized in place decades later. Fit them with anti-seize and they come out easily.
For my sins I grew up in the cotter pin era. Bent and ruined many a thread even with the nut fitted for protection. No cotter press for this wee boy. Just a big hammer and a wooden block. The block would often split........ Not everything in the good old days was good :ohmy:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not everything in the good old days was good :ohmy:

Very true indeed

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Old bikes often seem to be big, they get called garden gates in the trade. Perhaps more large frames survive because they are less popular and get used less.

Old bikes were usually correctly sized for the rider (apart from teenagers bikes with "growing room") The most common mens frames from the 50's and 60's appear to be around 22 1/2"-23", which is entirely in keeping with the typical inside leg measurement an average adult male around 5' 8" - 5' 9" tall would have.
The current, and absurd IMHO, fad for grown men to ride around on teen sized bikes with silly long seat posts looking like circus clowns, is only a relatively recent one. Not a fashion I have any intention of following myself.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Quick update on this one , the front wheel has been rebuilt , Williams crankset has been replaced by an alloy stronglight one and the headset has been stripped clean and regreased . Whilst the fork was out i checked for any stampings and i am happy to report it's got the same 4 digit stamping so original forks .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Did some more tinkering this morning .

A light t cut and polish .

Cleaned up a nice set of engraved bars and a Milremo stem which I think are Dawes ones .

Might swap the blue beaten up guards for a set of black one's ?

Top Bottom