Sid Mottram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I quite like the blue 'guards, the colour is a nice contrast. Can you get new blue ones?

Possibly at a price , agree re contrast

Here is my Sid Mottram. I bought it in Leicester in 1969 (oh, that's 50 years ago!) after my Viking Severn Valley was stolen. The shop on Narborough Road was still going then. Probably a Mercian-built frame. Stronglight 49 chainset. Huret rear derailleur, Benelux(!) front. Webb pedals and Campagnolo bar-end changers. Universal brakes. It was always a bitsa!

Attachments

• P5140813.JPG
    P5140813.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 34

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I quite like the blue 'guards, the colour is a nice contrast. Can you get new blue ones?

They look great don't they? Strong blues always seem to go nicely with orange for some reason. I find the overall effect very pleasing to the eye. It's a shame that these days, the mainstream mudguard choice seems to be black or black, or if you are lucky - SKS silver chromoplastic with a black stripe up the middle.

Yes, I still have the Sid Mottram, but it has been a while since I rode it. I find it quite difficult to ride a bike without cleats these days, and the gearing I could cope with 50 years ago, is not so easy now! My Bianchis cover most of my riding and the old steel doesn't get out much. The Mottram was "on loan" to my father for quite a while, and he rode it 11 miles each way to work and back until he died in 1992. I got it back from my mother when I retired, along with his Higgins Ultralite, and did them up in his memory, really. It isn't just the carbon frames that make modern bikes such an easy ride, there is also the range of gearing that enables me to get my ancient, and overweight, self up inclines. The picture is the Higgins. More famous for his trikes, Higgins only made about 2000 two-wheelers. My father bought it the week I was born.

Attachments

• Higgins.png
    Higgins.png
    446.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes, I still have the Sid Mottram, but it has been a while since I rode it. I find it quite difficult to ride a bike without cleats these days, and the gearing I could cope with 50 years ago, is not so easy now! My Bianchis cover most of my riding and the old steel doesn't get out much. The Mottram was "on loan" to my father for quite a while, and he rode it 11 miles each way to work and back until he died in 1992. I got it back from my mother when I retired, along with his Higgins Ultralite, and did them up in his memory, really. It isn't just the carbon frames that make modern bikes such an easy ride, there is also the range of gearing that enables me to get my ancient, and overweight, self up inclines. The picture is the Higgins. More famous for his trikes, Higgins only made about 2000 two-wheelers. My father bought it the week I was born.

Oh i like that Higgins and some nice family history with the Mottram as well
Agree re the more modern components making older bikes more useable by us as we get older

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Used this one today for commuting on and covered 11+ miles all without issue

And just fitted a bottle cage and set of mounts tonight so we are getting ready

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Question for the followers of this thread , my intended ribbed pvc bar tape has arrived today .

And I am unsure whether to cover up the engraved section of the bars or not ?

Any ideas or suggestions greatfully accepted .

woodbutcher

Veteran
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And you could always move the levers a bit further up the bars , maybe an inch or so . I say that because lm looking at the bike fit from the point of view of someone with a non too generously proportioned upper body :sad:

It's funny you should mention the lever position as they do need to come up and i am also going to try a longer stem before any taping up is done

Top Bottom