Sidcup into London alternate routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there, I'm just about to start commuting into Tower Hill from Sidcup.

Most people seem to ride A20->lewisham->Deptford->Jamaca Road, Tower Bridge
Is the route into Greenwich, walk through tunnel, narrow street -> cable street used by anyone, it seems to me it might be less busy traffic wise, although does the stop/walk in the middle of a ride make a big difference ?.

D

manalog

Über Member
I commute from half way street to Moorgate. The quitest route and safest for me is to go to
Bexley Road - Eltham High Street -Kidbrooke Park Road and turn left on to Weigall Road and turn right on to Moorhead way.
You will see a zebra crossing turn left there on to the pavement through Blackheath Village. I go through Blackheath through Greenwich Park and follow the main road to Surrey Quays - Jamaica Road and cross Tower bridge or London bridge. I don't go through Lewisham and Deptford as I find this route too busy.
Gerry

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
For some reason my ride in to Greenwich from Swanley (so through Sidcup) is different to my ride back. In I come through Sidcup and follow the A211 up to Eltham, back roads from Eltham High St then past Eltham Station, A208/Shooters Hill, on to cycle paths alongside and above the A102 and then down in to Greenwich (this last bit is always the slowest). Pretty clear for traffic apart from a couple of sets of traffic lights but not flat considering it's approaching the river.

My ride home is Maze Hill by the park, A208 to Kidbrooke Park Road, A20 to where it almost kisses the A211 but there's no junction. Through the gap on to the A211 and straight ahead to Swanley. It's about 2 miles shorter but heaving with traffic and the Worlds of Leather roundabout is a pig to negotiate. Neither really have cycle lanes.

If I'm cycling in to the City from work I tend to cut through the foot tunnel and go along the north side of the river in. Even then the CS route can be quite busy so I'd imagine it's heaving of a morning. I don't do it very often though, and I'm yet to work out the best way to negotiate the Westferry roundabout. I've driven the A200 a few times heading to Borough after work and it's always been awash with bikes coming out of London but also very heavy with traffic. It doesn't look a bad route option if you don't mind traffic, but a couple of the junctions could be interesting. There's quite a lot of bus lane from memory.

Biggest question is do you have time to meander a bit, or is it a door to desk as quickly as possible commute?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I commute from half way street to Moorgate. The quitest route and safest for me is to go to
Bexley Road - Eltham High Street -Kidbrooke Park Road and turn left on to Weigall Road and turn right on to Moorhead way.
You will see a zebra crossing turn left there on to the pavement through Blackheath Village. I go through Blackheath through Greenwich Park and follow the main road to Surrey Quays - Jamaica Road and cross Tower bridge or London bridge. I don't go through Lewisham and Deptford as I find this route too busy.
Gerry
A variation would be to continue up Kidbrooke Park Road to Westbrook Road and go straight along there to the heath and right on the path at the pond. It cuts out the village.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Personally I'd use A20 - A2 then off at the Bricklayers Arms and over Tower Bridge. Now I know you're probably thinking there's much more traffic on this route which is true however the balance is that much more of it is bus laned so on a bike it's really quick. The only iffy bits of traffic you'd have to negotiate that I can think of are at the Yorkshire Grey roundabout at the bottom of Eltham Hill, Lewisham Roundabout (which isn't that bad) and the Bricklayers Arms itself where if you don't fancy mixing it with the traffic there are cycle friendly underpasses and stuff.

OP
OP
S

spongebath

Thanks everyone thats some alternate routes I can try & no one will mind if I roll in late whilst I'm trying a few different routes.
Luckily I have the cycle2work scheme at work & I just need to pick a bike now, I tried a few for size last Friday & just need to make my mind up.

Brains

Legendary Member
I ride Greenwich to Tower Hill
I tend to use the foot tunnel and then through the middle of the Isle of Dogs, onto the waterside at Tiller St, along Narrow St and Boris's blue lanes ans then Cable St.

I never cross at Tower Bridge unless it's to walk across, the bridge is too narrow for bikes and vehicles together, so one has to leave.

I sometime do the Jamaica road route, it's about 8 mins faster, but a lot less pleasant

upload_2015-6-29_23-10-46.png

upload_2015-6-29_23-12-30.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I come in from Bexleyheath, i have a few routes, so chop and change as i see fit.
But imo the best route is via Evelyn Street and Jamacia Road.
At this time of year there are so many cyclists you will out number the cars.
In the morning time is essential for me, so i tend to go the quickest route, in the afternoon time is less important and i go the longer route.
Try a few different options and see what route works for you.

Top Bottom