Sidi Genius 5 Pro shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Anyone got them?

I had been intending to get Shimano shoes as you seem to get more for your money with them but the sizing doesn't work for me - a 43 is too short and the 44 is too wide. Today I tried a 44 Sidi and it seemed comfortable so I'm leaning that way. I think I can just about stomach the cost of the Genius 5 Pros, but I'd welcome any comments about them first.

Cheers,
Matthew

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

I'll take that as a no then.:blush:

Matthew

Bigtwin

I'll pitch in then. Mine stop at - I think - the 4s, so I don't have the exact same thing. However, unless they have changed a lot...

1. They are narrow in fit - more so than Shimano, Specialized and Nike in my experience.

2. They are very nicely adjustable to get a spot on fit.

3. They are very well made - never had anything fail on 3 pairs over some 7 years or so. Still have them all going strong actually.

4. Don't pay full whack - I have always found them (admittedly the old model/colours perhaps) massively discounted.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Bigtwin said:
I'll pitch in then. Mine stop at - I think - the 4s, so I don't have the exact same thing. However, unless they have changed a lot...

1. They are narrow in fit - more so than Shimano, Specialized and Nike in my experience.

2. They are very nicely adjustable to get a spot on fit.

3. They are very well made - never had anything fail on 3 pairs over some 7 years or so. Still have them all going strong actually.

4. Don't pay full whack - I have always found them (admittedly the old model/colours perhaps) massively discounted.

Thanks Bigtwin. The narrow fit is the reason I'm after the Sidi - even Shimanos aren't narrow enough for me.

The best price I've found is £110 for the 2009 Genius 5 Pro. If anyone can find them cheaper I'd love to know, but I think I've searched pretty thoroughly. I've also seen Genius 5.1s from last year or so for £90 but I'm too easily swayed by claims of extra stiffness etc.:sad:

Matthew

Bigtwin

Sure you'll be fine for fit then.

Really not sure how they can be any stiffer. Mine are stiffer than Stiffy the stiff thing on national stiff say with a stiffy on!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've had five or six pairs (used with SPD-Rs), and I reckon they're OK, but expensive. The ratchets are great, but the velcro on my current pair is not good. The heels wear down really quickly. If I saw something as nice looking I'd give it a try, but they're the one make of shoe that doesn't look like gaudy.

Bigtwin

dellzeqq said:
but they're the one make of shoe that doesn't look like gaudy.

A-hem. I don't do a lot of walking in mine, but the heel block is replaceable. Oh and I see I lied - I do have some 5's!

Joe

Über Member
Comfiest shoes ever:biggrin:
I've got the 5.1s (bargain at 90) and they are perfect. I doubt the 5 pros will be any stiffer, get carbon soled if you're worried!
Quality seems alot better than my specialized (1st pair cracked at the sole, 2nd has a tempermental ratchety thing) and practically all the bits are replaceable.
I'm now looking at getting some of their mtb shoes and most probably their goretex boots come the winter.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Thanks all.:smile: They're on order.

Matthew

Top Bottom