Sightseeing Amsterdam on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
I am looking at taking my Brompton with me on a sightseeing trip to Amsterdam. When I mentioned this in the Tripadvisor forum There were many who said that it's a challenge due to the cycling locals not tolerating tourists on bike who my be hesitant in the city environment and at times downright hostile. Has anyone here cycled in Amsterdam city? Is it to be avoided?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have cycled many times in Amsterdam, it can be a little hostile at first, but you soon pick up the rules. I think it is a great way to get around. I found it better to be slightly intoxicated the whole time, it is more relaxing. ^_^

The locals are annoyed with tourists because there are so many of them. And many of them do not know how to ride a bike. Be assertive, not aggressive, and you'll be fine. Take your bike with you and if you don't like the experience leave it in your room; Amsterdam is really small and can easily be travelled by foot, or bus, or tram, or metro. Just take a whopping great lock with you.

Jody

Stubborn git
Has anyone here cycled in Amsterdam city? Is it to be avoided?

My partner really doesn't like cycling in general but loved cycling in Amsterdam. The locals do get a little touchy but they are used to tourists. Ride as you would normally ride, be mindful of who is around you and you'll have no problems

Levo-Lon

Guru
Whenever i was in the Dam I'd struggle to find a bike let alone ride one :laugh:

Its got very silly now with mass tourism, but a wonderfully friendly interesting city.

Enjoy, remember to look left:okay:

Slick

Guru
My wife and I cycled there in the summer on out way to Utrecht and found it really easy to cycle there, especially compared to Glasgow. :eek:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I am looking at taking my Brompton with me on a sightseeing trip to Amsterdam. When I mentioned this in the Tripadvisor forum There were many who said that it's a challenge due to the cycling locals not tolerating tourists on bike who my be hesitant in the city environment and at times downright hostile. Has anyone here cycled in Amsterdam city? Is it to be avoided?
Should have done it thirty years ago when Amsterdam was nice. Was there a couple of years ago it sucks.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We (myself and wife) cycled in Amsterdam, Utrecht and a couple of smaller Netherlands Towns, in October 2019. You do have to keep your wits about you, given the sheer number of cyclists, but, signalling your intentions, being observant and not making sudden unannounced stops, should see you alright. The cycling infrastructure was excellent. The thing we found most difficult to adapt to was Motor Traffic actually giving way to us!

Slick

Guru
We (myself and wife) cycled in Amsterdam, Utrecht and a couple of smaller Netherlands Towns, in October 2019. You do have to keep your wits about you, given the sheer number of cyclists, but, signalling your intentions, being observant and not making sudden unannounced stops, should see you alright. The cycling infrastructure was excellent. The thing we found most difficult to adapt to was Motor Traffic actually giving way to us!
It took quite a while to get used to that for sure.

MarkF

Guru
We did the Hull-Amsterdam ferry last spring and took 2 folders, I remember thinking that was daft with all the hire bikes available. But it turned out a blessing and even MrsF, a bag of nerves urban rider, had no problem and on folders, not hire bikes, we just blended in. It's busy but nowhere near as stressful as the Leeds/Bradford conurbation.

Julia9054

Guru
We hired bikes in Amsterdam a couple of years ago and found the locals rather intolerant of any form of dithering due to not knowing our way around. We got up early and cycled in the mornings when there were fewer people around, preferring to park up and hole up in a bar in the afternoons when the whole place gets ridiculously crowded.
It was good fun but not a relaxing experience!

snorri

Legendary Member
There were many who said that it's a challenge due to the cycling locals not tolerating tourists on bike who my be hesitant in the city environment
Dithering tourists can be a PIA at all tourist hot spots around the world regardless of their mode of travel.
I usually prefer to tour city centres on foot, the consequences of collisions tend to be less serious when concentration is diverted by visual distractions:smile:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom