Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi All

This is very close to my heart.

My very dear dear friend and soon-to-be-relative Dan Wiltshire died suddenly this time last year at the age of 39. He had a massive brain haemorrhage, simply dropped to the floor one awful Saturday morning and was lost to us.

From the website of the Daniel Wiltshire Foundation:

"Although Daniel had not had the conversation regarding organ donation, he had carried a donor card years ago. Fortunately we knew his wish.
"Daniel’s wishes were honoured, and for those closest to him, his gift of life to others brought solace and comfort at a devastating time.
"Daniel was awarded the insignia of the Order of St John “for the selfless contribution of adding life and giving hope to others from the gift of organ donation.”
"If, like Daniel, you would like to know that your organs could help someone to live, then please tell those closest to you."

We went to his 40th birthday ball on Friday - the 40th birthday he never had - and, having heard that the four recipients of Dan's great gift are still alive and thriving - we are spreading the word :

SIGN UP! - sign the NHS organ donation register here http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/how_to_become_a_donor/index.asp
and
SAY SO! - tell your nearest and dearest what your wishes are.

I hope if you are not already registered as an organ donor you will take a few moments to do so today.

Thanks.

TVC

I'm in

I have always done my part when it comes to recycling.

I always felt that such altruistic things should be opt-out. Too many people are pre-occupied with work, life and family to realise how important this is until someone close to them needs a transplant. A website to opt-out is more effective than one that calls for opt-in as there are complications with the latter.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll be honest and say it seems unfair to expect to receive if you are not willing to be on the list.

And I might soon be on the waiting list.

Sara_H

Guru
Hi All

This is very close to my heart.

My very dear dear friend and soon-to-be-relative Dan Wiltshire died suddenly this time last year at the age of 39. He had a massive brain haemorrhage, simply dropped to the floor one awful Saturday morning and was lost to us.

From the website of the Daniel Wiltshire Foundation:

"Although Daniel had not had the conversation regarding organ donation, he had carried a donor card years ago. Fortunately we knew his wish.
"Daniel’s wishes were honoured, and for those closest to him, his gift of life to others brought solace and comfort at a devastating time.
"Daniel was awarded the insignia of the Order of St John “for the selfless contribution of adding life and giving hope to others from the gift of organ donation.”
"If, like Daniel, you would like to know that your organs could help someone to live, then please tell those closest to you."

We went to his 40th birthday ball on Friday - the 40th birthday he never had - and, having heard that the four recipients of Dan's great gift are still alive and thriving - we are spreading the word :

SIGN UP! - sign the NHS organ donation register here http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/how_to_become_a_donor/index.asp
and
SAY SO! - tell your nearest and dearest what your wishes are.

I hope if you are not already registered as an organ donor you will take a few moments to do so today.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Good to hear that he has given new hope to others.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I signed up in the 80s, mind you everything is probably a bit knackered by now, certainly feels it. :surrender:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Have been on the register for over 20 years.... but thanks to the OP as i've just made double sure that my details are up to date by re-registering.

One of my nearest and dearest friends had a new lease of life thanks to a kidney transplant. It didn't last forever but it was better than nothing.

vickster

Legendary Member
On the register, but I don't want to be chopped up by medical students. They can have my bits but not all of me. I probably think I am on the register but will check.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When I got my driving license many years ago there was a section that you filled in to say you'd be a donor.
I've registered again since. Once I'm gone you can have any bits that you like.

Top Bottom