Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I have been on the register, but it was many years ago i filled in the form. I've just tried to register again, but it's not having any of it as i'm not resident in the UK. Email sent NHSBT. I do carry a norwegian card though. There is not a register here.

One of my brothers has received a kidney and, i think, a spleen. And he is very grateful indeed. His family are too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am on it. Have been since the eighties. Used to have the little card in my wallet. Have reconfirmed I am on it last week when I renewed my driving licence.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A friend died from leukemia a while ago. His widow suggested that we might like to consider donating some bone marrow. The Anthony Nolan Trust told me I was too old. They only accept people under 30. The NHS bone marrow people accept you up to 49, but I had just crossed that threshold. I was a bit miffed and started to feel rather old.:sad:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yep I'm in, they can have anything they can still use as far as I'm concerned. At the end of the day the body is simply a container or transporter for the person, so if I sdon't need it anymore, and someone else can benefit, then crack on.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Always have been on the register as a motorcyclist , sadly my brother wasn't when he got killed ,if the Dr had mentioned it permission would have be granted.
but asking relatives at the time would be difficult I guess.

pernicious anemia prevents me giving blood which is a shame.

@Dave Davenport - Check again. I'm still on the Register and I've had cancer twice.

That said, if they don't want me for transplant, the local medical students get me for practice.

Edit: just checked. You're only automatically barred if you have HIV or CJD. There were revised guidelines issued last year in respect of cancer..

Thanks for that; It was probably three or four years ago when I last spoke to them, I should be ok according to the new guidelines and have re registered.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Myself and MrsP have carried cards for 30+ years We re-registered some years back to make sure all organs can be used.

Stephenite

Membå
Seeing as though i registered 15 years or so ago and then moved abroad I sent an email to NHSBT. The gist of the response is I was still on the register, and:

"There is no reason why you can’t remain registered despite living abroad however this will only be of use if you were to die whilst in the UK."

:smile:

Seeing as though i registered 15 years or so ago and then moved abroad I sent an email to NHSBT. The gist of the response is I was still on the register, and:

"There is no reason why you can’t remain registered despite living abroad however this will only be of use if you were to die whilst in the UK."

:smile:

Nothing like starting the bleedin' obvious is there!

Checked and lifelong medication usage still means I can't give blood or be an organ donor.

Where do you check? I had a quick search and couldn't see anything obvious but there is a chance now that a couple of my conditions rule me out on medication, so I'm curious.

Top Bottom