Signalling on roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeoCaesar

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on this as I don't always do it and I'm wondering if I should change my ways... A few of the roundabouts in Aberdeen are a bit wild and it takes my full concentration and control to make it to the other side alive.

If it is a single lane roundabout I generally never signal and just ensure that my opening is sound.
Roundabouts with more than one lane generally do require signalling but I have found that my extended arm signalling a turn has developed into a STOP hand gesture that I need to point at the traffic just itching to mow me down.

Is it safer to time your manoeuvres or is this another example of cyclist's bad habits adopting their own rules of the road?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's common courtesy and good roadcraft to signal. You need to let anyone behind you and those approaching the roundabout know what you are doing.

Davidc

Guru
Signals as Highway Code. makes your intentions crystal clear to others so minimises risk of a collision.

As I've just posted on another thread, it doesn't help if a driver just isn't looking, but it helps with the other 99%

I'll pre signal on approach to a roundabout and use my positioning (ie in a right turn lane) to make it clear and I'll sometimes signal my exit, other times control is more important you have to adapt to the traffic conditions at the time. No point in signalling if no one is there or it presents too clear a picture to a muppet wanting to overtake you through the rbt to cut you up but other times its common courtesy and can help you progress.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think road position is more important than signalling and depending on the size of the RAB and whether I feel I need to keep my hands near the handlebars/brakes I don't always signal. As the roundabouts get larger there is more time to signal and it may be necessary to change lanes but the speed of the cars also increases so I want to be prepared to react quickly to someone trying to change lane into my space.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Each roundabout needs to be taken on it's merits.
Mini roundabouts it is best to indicate your intention before hand, as with a tight turning cycle you will have trouble doing so during.

Larger roundabouts you can use your lane position to indicate your intentions. Whether you indicate or not you need to be prepared to stop as people may not see you or think they can get out before you.

HovR

Über Member
There are a few large (3 lane, traffic controlled) roundabouts on my commute which require me to keep up with traffic and have complete control of the bike, whilst being aware of everything that is going on around you, to make it through the roundabout safely. Sometimes on roundabouts like these it isn't practical, or at times even possible to signal.

As such, I will signal when possible, however if I can manoever safely without signaling, and signaling may possibly pose a risk to me due to lack of control of the bike, then I won't signal.

daSmirnov

I always signal on roundabouts, unless there's a specific right-lane in which case I'll only signal when leaving. Even disregarding the potential safety benefit, let's face it its well annoying when other people don't and you end up stopping for them even though they end up turned off at the exit before, arggh.

There are a couple of roundabouts I use fairly often where I don't signal, and just use my lane position/speed to let drivers figure out where I'm going, one is a kind of oval shape (so to turn right you'd have to be going much slower) and its full of potholes so I don't like taking my hands off the bars unless I absolutely have to.

On one mini-roundabout where traffic (often travelling way too fast) on my left can't see me until I'm almost on the round-about I quite often signal even for straight on (right arm pointing forwards), making other people sure of what's going on can only make things flow smoother and safer.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I always signal at roundabouts but have been wary of the mini ones after a moped almost ploughed into the side of me. I was turning right, no other traffic around and this moped comes speeding out of nowhere, drives right across the roundabout, misses me by literally inches and then has the cheek to shout at me. self-gratification artist.

OP
OP
NeoCaesar

NeoCaesar

There are a few large (3 lane, traffic controlled) roundabouts on my commute which require me to keep up with traffic and have complete control of the bike, whilst being aware of everything that is going on around you, to make it through the roundabout safely. Sometimes on roundabouts like these it isn't practical, or at times even possible to signal.

As such, I will signal when possible, however if I can manoever safely without signaling, and signaling may possibly pose a risk to me due to lack of control of the bike, then I won't signal.

That's what I was getting at -sometimes it is just too dangerous to signal. I just want to justify it in my head with some other people telling me it's ok. :-)

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I dont signal when I am going straight on at a roundabout but I do if I am either going left or right. I am always very defensive at a roundabout and if I am turning right, I make sure that noone thinks of not giving way by being very aware of others actions.

Eeeeh - depends on the RAB (now there's a useful statement!)

Fwiw?

1. Before the RAB, I'll always signal clearly.

2. On the RAB, my priorities are
- clear and confident positioning in the correct lane
- looking around both ways and behind
- keeping control.​
3. Giving signals to dingbats to hold back

4. And only then "orthodox" HC signals, if the RAB is big/wide enough. But only if signalling doesn't compromise my looking around/control.

Keith Oates

Janner
On RAB's I generally sit up on the bike and if possible and it doesn't compromise my bike handling, I extend a full arm length hand signal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with most responders, signal intention well in advance if turning either way and get into defensive/primary position in that lane.
Is safe to do so signal your exit and use the "please slow down and gimme a feckin chance to get around/off this roundabout safely" palm raised signal.

You seem to be doing it about right... Would advise the sitting well up in the saddle to be more visible too.

Top Bottom