Signed up for my first Sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, so I have signed my hubby and I up for our first sportive, so what do I need to know?
It's a mountain bike sportive of 38 miles in Scotland in March and I'm curious as to how they work, what happens with food... I can see the need for at least lunch and I won't be able to rely on getting anything dairy free and veggie, so will have to take my own food (usually in a pannier) and I am just curious as to how these things work...

I know they are not a race (and anyone who has cycled with me will know I don't race!) and they are meant to be enjoyable etc, but never having done one before I have a few 'worries'...

fimm

Veteran
The 2 sportives (road not MTB) I have done have mostly supplied cake and sandwiches made by volunteers at the food stops. However the one you link to says "well stocked High5 feed stations" which would suggest to me that there will be mostly energy gels/bars that sort of thing. Which is probably veggie and may or may not be dairy free. If I was you I would contact them and ask!

MikeW-71

Veteran
I imagine they'll be using some serious off-road terrain, so I'd recommend a backpack rather than the pannier.

What they will have is a van parked in a lay-by on a road section at one or two places, they will have water, energy drink, some fruit, cake, flapjack, gels available for free. Evans do these events well and if there's still space available, I might sign up for this one myself!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I imagine they'll be using some serious off-road terrain, so I'd recommend a backpack rather than the pannier.

What they will have is a van parked in a lay-by on a road section at one or two places, they will have water, energy drink, some fruit, cake, flapjack, gels available for free. Evans do these events well and if there's still space available, I might sign up for this one myself!
from what I can see on the satellite image of the route they have posted up in the last few days, it is virtually all track - though at one point it looks like it disappears into that green track type trail that will be rather muddy. And there are still places available - :smile:

I am have contacted High 5 to ask them which of their products are dairy free, so hopefully get a response. I will also ask Evans as well. I'm severely allergic to all dairy products so basically have to be exceptionally careful when people cater for me... makes life 'interesting' because dairy turns up in sliced bread, most margarine and even jam nowadays which makes something as simple as a jam sandwich a nightmare!

MikeW-71

Veteran
Route split point looks like it's on a forest road. That's where one of them is likely to be. Or there will just be one there and the long loop comes back to it.

zizou

Veteran
The Evans sportives ive done in the past have tended to have high 5 bars and gels, energy drink, water, bananas, cake and nuts at the stops. I dont know about all the range but the High 5 energy bar and gels are vegan but their protein bars are only vegetarian.

Ive done most the route before and some of it is on forest roads and some on paths. It is not demanding technically however there are a couple of tough climbs and descents which could potentially be quite rocky and loose (hard to say though as it depends what erosion there has been on them over the winter). I think there are some water bars too so having a pannier might prove a bit tricky in negotiating them. Its a nice route with some great views.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
thanks - I will throw the rucksacks in the car as well to take on holiday. descents are not a problem - I can handle most red mountain bike routes (usually with panniers on as well :whistle:) and have started to venture towards black routes as well... hoping to get up to Wolftrax again, it is years since we have been there and I really need to bully myself into some more off-roading at the moment (hence the decision to book this sportive and just force us to look as some other options when we go on holiday to Loch Rannoch!

Top Bottom