Significant other not impressed with new hobby........help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
So my girlfriend sees me taking up cycling as a midlife crisis issue. Where as I see cycling as exciting, challenging, social and good for my fitness, she sees it as expensive, time consuming, dangerous and childish.when I tried on my Lycra stuff and helmet for her, she just looked at me in disgust ( not helped by the fact my mate was just wearing bib shorts...... And he's a fat lad)

Any tips for making her see the light? Or will we never see eye to eye on the matter.

AndyRM

XOXO
Expensive and time consuming? Yes, depending on how much bling you fancy and your level of commitment. Dangerous and childish? Nope.

She may never see the light, but has she no hobbies which cost money and time?

I'd not be rushing to put on a Lycra based modelling show by the way. It's clothing which serves a purpose, and if you're not a whippet it's unlikely to be all that flattering.

zizou

Veteran
As far as midlife crisis' go, cycling is pretty benign. Drink to excess take some class As and sleep around see how she likes that!

Its also your hobby which you enjoy so unless you are out all hours cycling and not spending any time with her then its really poor form from her to have a go at you for doing it!

Last edited:

Tommy2

Über Member
Or trade her in for a newer model.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Or alternatively you could leave brochures for golf club membership around and pricelists for sets of 'bats', maybe suggest joint membership.

Haha my other friends have started golfing...... With a view to golfing in Portugal, which would bankrupt me. My girlfriend is into showing dogs, which has a very bizarre sub culture. Now that is expensive, but I try and take notice and seem interested.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Just keep cycling and let her see that you're enjoying it - and perhaps getting fitter. She may just be worried that it's just a fad and there'll soon be a rusty, unused bike in the garage and a pile of lycra that you never use.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My wife accused my cycling as being a midlife crisis hobby (even when I'm in my 20's), it beats her hobby of online shopping though.
I found the best treatment for this was to invite her friends' husband/ partner cycling, they then get the whole 'cycle widow' thing going on and meet up for coffee.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Everyone needs a hobby.
Cycling is (or can be) social, healthy etc. As someone else said, it needn't be expensive.
Just go for it!
I wonder how much your g/f spends on dog shampoos, brushes, entry fees for shows, transport, vets fees......

Top Bottom