Significant other not impressed with new hobby........help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Forget motorbike brochures, you just need to leave a few copies of cycling plus etc lying around with the higher end bikes that can go for £5k + and show her how considerate and thrifty you are by only spending whatever you have .
Have you also considered commuting ? most of my riding is commute mileage as i have 2 young kids so ride time is at a premium and i rarely get out for long rides atm .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
BIke or Girlfiriend?

Whole new meaning to N+1
http://uk.fitness-singles.com/ :whistle:

ManxJason

Regular
Just tell her that it's tough mate. Anyway, you've gone about it the right way - purchase all the gear, and then tell her - much easier to seek forgiveness than it is permission!

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Everyone needs a hobby.
Cycling is (or can be) social, healthy etc. As someone else said, it needn't be expensive.
Just go for it!
I wonder how much your g/f spends on dog shampoos, brushes, entry fees for shows, transport, vets fees......

She has bought a hydraulic bath which is a small dog bath that raises from ground to waist height so you don't have to bend or get on your knees to wash the dogs.......yes it was expensive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And what, pray, is wrong with with an expensive, time consuming, dangerous and childish midlife-crisis hobby?

Maxants33

Buy her a Pashley!
pashley-poppy-hybrid-bike.jpg

BIke or Girlfiriend?

Whole new meaning to N+1
GF+1

lesley_x

Über Member
Honestly, I reckon she'll be on a bike within the year.

When she sees how much fun you're having she'll want to join in. My family thought I was a loon when I started cycling, now they all have bikes.

There might be something else underlying her fear - you won't be spending as much time with her, etc

I would never apologise for having a hobby and especially not one that keeps you healthy and happy.

Reactions: PBB

Davos87

Guru
Probably just feeling a tad threatened that Victoria Pendleton & Laura Trott types will be throwing themselves at you shortly.
Reassure her..... Tell her you love her, that she is the only one for you..... Then get out on your bike!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are spending your own money and there is enough left to pay bills, save for holidays etc., then the spending is none of her business.

There is a danger that we-time becomes me-time, so you have to try not to let that happen too often.

I think you might never persuade her that you look good in lycra, but getting slim, tanned and fit would help!

Oh, I just read the post about show dogs ... Just get out on your bike while she does her dog thing!
She wont be compalining when your superfit and ripped!
My ex certainly stopped complaining when cycling made me superfit and ripped - she decided to put the ex in ex-girlfriend! :laugh:

(Cycling wasn't really the problem, though it did become one when I used to choose to go out on my bike rather than spend yet another day bickering.)

Top Bottom