Significant other not impressed with new hobby........help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
My wife tolerates the cycling...probably as good as it will ever get lol. She certainly isn't impressed by lycra either. However, she respects the rides I do and the level of fitness required to complete them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Maybe she'll find your improved ,ahem, stamina impressive

Retribution03

My wife encourages me to ride and thinks I look good in the gear but I'm one of those annoying people that can eat what I want when I want and still stay slim :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another lucky one here as Mrs Ian actively encourages me to get out cycling. She want's me fit and healthy as I get older. She also likes me out of the house as she knows I get very grumpy if I can't get out cycling at a weekend for what ever reason. .

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My girlfriend is into showing dogs, which has a very bizarre sub culture. Now that is expensive, but I try and take notice and seem interested.
My wife used to do dog obedience shows, so i guess the costs are similar, fuel costs running to shows, show entry fees, accessories.... I dont think cycling is that expensive :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Haha my other friends have started golfing...... With a view to golfing in Portugal, which would bankrupt me. My girlfriend is into showing dogs, which has a very bizarre sub culture. Now that is expensive, but I try and take notice and seem interested.
I am a professional dog groomer and used to groom show dogs and know just how expensive a hobby dog shows are (I got paid to go though so that was OK). Riding a bike is a lot cheaper than dog showing, a whole lot less bitchy too.
I would suggest that you go riding while she's brushing out. Sportives on show days and so on and so forth.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My personal experience is that if a partner doesn't get it, you won't convince them otherwise and the best you will achieve is their indifference. In the past I have found this to be an extremely negative situation.

Thankfully, my current partner did not require any convincing, since I met her via my cycling club and owns more bikes than me and does more cycling disciplines than me (although is less obsessive about any one of them than I am about my discipline).

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am a professional dog groomer and used to groom show dogs and know just how expensive a hobby dog shows are (I got paid to go though so that was OK). Riding a bike is a lot cheaper than dog showing, a whole lot less bitchy too.
I would suggest that you go riding while she's brushing out. Sportives on show days and so on and so forth.

I don't know the costs of dog showing but comparative costs will depend on what you do with your cycling really. I find the cycling I do to be very expensive and it seems to be that hardly a week goes by when I am not spending £50-60 on cycling (maintaining a bike, consumables, entering a race, travel, nutrition beyond normal food, coaching costs) and often much bigger costs roll in, say I have to stay over in a hotel for a race (I've slept in the back of a van in a lay-by a couple of times to save on these costs because I couldn't afford a room).

Peter Cairns

Once you have spent on initial outlay, ie bike, clothing and equipment, then the spend tends to slow down untill you start wanting to upgrade. However it is a great lifestyle activity which has very good positive outcomes as all cyclist's know. I think that she will come around in time as she starts to notice the incremental improvements in your personal fitness. You never know, she may get interested in trying for herself, whatever the outcome, welcome to cycling and good luck.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
My wife usually seems quite happy to see the back of me for a few hours each weekend.
Not quite so happy about the pile of greasy bits that were laid out neatly on the patio furniture when I serviced my hubs and replaced the bottom bracket last week.
That, in hindsight, may have been a mistake.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't know the costs of dog showing but comparative costs will depend on what you do with your cycling really. I find the cycling I do to be very expensive and it seems to be that hardly a week goes by when I am not spending £50-60 on cycling (maintaining a bike, consumables, entering a race, travel, nutrition beyond normal food, coaching costs) and often much bigger costs roll in, say I have to stay over in a hotel for a race (I've slept in the back of a van in a lay-by a couple of times to save on these costs because I couldn't afford a room).
I don't do a huge amounts in the way of events, my bike doesn't cost much to maintain. Show dogs need feeding, grooming, a lot of time. The travelling and hotel costs would probably be similar though. On the whole though, I would suggest that cycling would take up a bit more time but cost a fair bit less. The initial start up costs can be steep in both cases. Pedigree dogs of show stock are not cheap and you have to feed them.

Top Bottom