Significant other not impressed with new hobby........help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
to be fair they are good looking shih tzus

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fortunately, my wife knew me before we got together - so she knew I was a cyclist. Was never the best chat up person ever me, but I got my lass.

She lets me get on with my hobby/sport, but her hobby is also N+1 category, and can be expensive too - she loves sewing and embroidery, and her machines match my bikes for expense, and in number (has 4) Fortunately, we tend to keep the machines, so no new purchases since having kids.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fortunately, my wife knew me before we got together - so she knew I was a cyclist. Was never the best chat up person ever me, but I got my lass.

She lets me get on with my hobby/sport, but her hobby is also N+1 category, and can be expensive too - she loves sewing and embroidery, and her machines match my bikes for expense, and in number (has 4) Fortunately, we tend to keep the machines, so no new purchases since having kids.
Bernina ?:eek:

fossyant

I suppose she might complain if you are one of these 'latest fad' type folk.

But cycling is great for your health. If you can get it into your daily routine - 99% of my miles these days are commutes. With a busy family, going off to knock up 50 milers on a Saturday and Sunday would get a whollop, but with 5 days commuting, I can ride 150 miles in 5 days, and get on with family stuff at the weekends/evenings.

It can be expensive, but you have to do it a bit at a time. Buy something when you need it. Tools are another expense.

But, my whole family like cycling, my son is well into it, loves his MTB. My daughter now considers she 'follows' dad into cycling and is enjoying it (mud and chucking yourself down anything rough isn't her though) and my wife loves cycling since I bought her a very good hybrid - worlds apart from crap people normally have - she loves the bike - rides like a dream !

A hobby is important for everyone. Keeps you sane (even if some folk think you are a nutter).

fossyant

Bernina ?:eek:

No... Janome that does embroidery and sewing (carbon ultegra money), a Brother Innovis 4000 that was an arm and a leg (super bike money) then a Janome overlocker, and another Janome Overlocker that is computerised (we got that hardly used, but a 400 mile round trip drive). Frightening. Especially when the missus asks you to have a delve in the inners for a broken needle....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No... Janome that does embroidery and sewing (carbon ultegra money), a Brother Innovis 4000 that was an arm and a leg (super bike money) then a Janome overlocker, and another Janome Overlocker that is computerised (we got that hardly used, but a 400 mile round trip drive). Frightening. Especially when the missus asks you to have a delve in the inners for a broken needle....
My ex was a school Textile teacher, she bought a CNC Bernina that was £1400..........In 1987
You could download patterns (on 31/2 floppy) and it would embroider them on auto.
Made all her own suits for work too.

fossyant

My ex was a school Textile teacher, she bought a CNC Bernina that was £1400..........In 1987
You could download patterns (on 31/2 floppy) and it would embroider them on auto.
Made all her own suits for work too.

Yeh, sounds like my missus Janome - it used custom PCMCIA cards and stuff, but you could get patterns on via the supplied PC adapter. The Brother uses USB memory sticks.... so much easier.

jarlrmai

Veteran
£500 to watch dogs humping, I could charge half that to stand in my garden and watch the dogs across the road from me few weeks ago.
I'd even throw in a chair, tea & biscuits for the duration of the performance.

Your avatar makes this comment even more hilarious.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
@fossyant maybe your missus can teach me to use a sowing machine and loan me one (can pay) for a very specific task, I have an idea for something cycling related, Scott's missus has agreed to stitch the prototype for testing etc but if it works or at the very least looks good/marketable, I will need to put some time in and produce some more to give to a few of our time triallists as I can't expect her to keep making them.

Cubist

Still wavin'
She has bought a hydraulic bath which is a small dog bath that raises from ground to waist height so you don't have to bend or get on your knees to wash the dogs.......yes it was expensive.
:becool:
Take up MTBing. Those things make a £300 dropper seatpost look positively good value for money!

dexter101

Ive just started cycling and the other half was initially worried about me dying on the roads... have been commuting for two weeks now and i get greeted when I get home with a big smile and a cup of tea. When people dont actually ride, the roads appear much more scary than they are day to day.

Regarding costs, i spent 80 quid on a second hand bike and have just saved the same amount thought not using the car.

im slowly going to get her involved and then we can go for rides together, she would look amazing in lycra... :hungry:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Just tell her to let you do your thing and she can do her thing ...having different hobbies is necessary...especially when hers involves showing dogs for christs sake lol!!

Top Bottom