Signs that maybe you should change careers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
🤔

All uphill

Still rolling along
In the 90s I was in my employer's London office when the fire alarm went off.

200 people piled out; I looked round and realised I was the oldest person there at 46! A very clear sign of time to change.

Within 3 months I had negotiated "redundancy" and moved on.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The person who designed this road/bridge with only 11' 8" clearance, and the drivers who don't know that their vehicles are higher than that! :whistle:

:wacko:

That happens all too often at Connel near Oban. To get to my son's house just over the bridge I have had to divert by Glencoe.:angry:

Baldy

Ãœber Member
I suspect the bridge had adequate clearance when it was built, but the vehicles using the road evolved over time...
I think I'm right in saying it was originally a rail bridge that was converted to road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That happens all too often at Connel near Oban. To get to my son's house just over the bridge I have had to divert by Glencoe.:angry:

Yes, I've had to divert around that bridge a few times, it is a very long way around. Especially when you're in a 40 tonner.
Indeed! I posted about it a few years ago... HERE.

I think I'm right in saying it was originally a rail bridge that was converted to road.
Yes, it was. We used to cross the railway bridge on steam trains for family holidays 60+ years ago.

One of my Scottish forebears was a steelworker who worked on the construction of the bridge. There is a photograph on a wall of one of the pubs in Connel showing him and other workers high up above the loch on the half-built structure.

Cars were allowed to cross when trains were not due.

There used to be a small ferry to cross the loch at Bonawe but I don't remember us using that.

IIRC the railway line and ferry closed the year that England won the World Cup!

This one?
We drove over, whilst touring Scotland in October 2020

In one of the railway modelling magazines, someone has modelled it!!
(Slightly shorter though)

Last edited:
Double dockers under a bridge in Torrisholme edge of Lancaster. Used to get one every couple of years without fail but nothing for about 10 years. They simply drive down under the railway bridge and give anyone at on the top deck a buzz cut along with the bus. There's something funny when your see the front half stuck under the bridge with the roof up to use point all concertinaed up behind the bridge. Fortunately nobody seems to get seriously hurt.

Then there's over the river a low bridge, ex railway bridge now a mixed use path, which often gets trucks hung under it and getting stuck.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This one?
We drove over, whilst touring Scotland in October 2020

View attachment 634509

In one of the railway modelling magazines, someone has modelled it!!
(Slightly shorter though)
That is indeed Connel Bridge. Ex railway bridge with traffic lights as it is too narrow for 2 way traffic. It used to be toll bridge for road traffic when used as a railway bridge and I remember it cost me 2p for me and 4p for my bike. Somewhere there is a photo taken in those days but I think my DIL has it now as she belongs there and has an interest in the history of the area. They live somewhere among the trees on the very RH side of the picture.

Top Bottom