Signs that you're an ageing pro cycling fan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Noticed a rider in the Dubai Tour called Nathan Van Hooydonck. First reaction was, oooh, I remember watching his dad race! Obviously there have been the likes of Axel Merckx and Nico Roche as well, but it doesn't feel that long ago since Edwig Van Hooydonck was racing - he was going well into the late 90s, wasn't he? Around the same period as Erik Zabel, in fact, whose son Rick is also making a name for himself now.

(Actually, it turns out that Edwig is Nathan's uncle rather than his dad, although his dad was a minor pro as well - Gino Van Hooydonck, though I don't remember him.)

How long before we see a junior Wiggins in the pro ranks? When that happens, I'll start to feel really old.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Noticed a rider in the Dubai Tour called Nathan Van Hooydonck. First reaction was, oooh, I remember watching his dad race! Obviously there have been the likes of Axel Merckx and Nico Roche as well, but it doesn't feel that long ago since Edwig Van Hooydonck was racing - he was going well into the late 90s, wasn't he? Around the same period as Erik Zabel, in fact, whose son Rick is also making a name for himself now.

(Actually, it turns out that Edwig is Nathan's uncle rather than his dad, although his dad was a minor pro as well - Gino Van Hooydonck, though I don't remember him.)

How long before we see a junior Wiggins in the pro ranks? When that happens, I'll start to feel really old.

Not forgetting that Wiggins senior was originally Wiggins junior. If the new Wiggins junior races, will be three generations - now that does make you feel old.

I had the same thought regarding Van Hooydonck.

and then for some reason I thought , you don't here names like,..Djamolodine mirgarifanovich abdoujaparov ,anymore do you

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Steve Ovett`s son riding the jayco sun tour Freddy Ovett.
2651E78600000578-0-image-m-76_1425673435594.jpg

MikeG

Guru
The sons of people I played professional cricket with and against are coming up to retirement themselves now. It just can't be that long ago, surely?

(Don't call me Shirley) :smile:

iandg

Legendary Member
Not forgetting that Wiggins senior was originally Wiggins junior. If the new Wiggins junior races, will be three generations - now that does make you feel old.

Indeed, I went to watch the Skol 6 at Wembley before Gary Wiggins was racing the 6 day circuit.

I wonder how many of the British riders in the peloton are the sons of riders I raced against - I know Dan Martin is.

Sharky

Guru
Indeed, I went to watch the Skol 6 at Wembley before Gary Wiggins was racing the 6 day circuit.

I wonder how many of the British riders in the peloton are the sons of riders I raced against - I know Dan Martin is.
There's Maurice Burton former 6 day rider and his son.
I have raced against Chris Boardman's dad, or to rephrase - I have been in the same race as his dad. Keith B was a top rider.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom