Signs that you're an ageing pro cycling fan

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by smutchin, 8 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Noticed a rider in the Dubai Tour called Nathan Van Hooydonck. First reaction was, oooh, I remember watching his dad race! Obviously there have been the likes of Axel Merckx and Nico Roche as well, but it doesn't feel that long ago since Edwig Van Hooydonck was racing - he was going well into the late 90s, wasn't he? Around the same period as Erik Zabel, in fact, whose son Rick is also making a name for himself now.

(Actually, it turns out that Edwig is Nathan's uncle rather than his dad, although his dad was a minor pro as well - Gino Van Hooydonck, though I don't remember him.)

How long before we see a junior Wiggins in the pro ranks? When that happens, I'll start to feel really old.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
  2. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Not forgetting that Wiggins senior was originally Wiggins junior. If the new Wiggins junior races, will be three generations - now that does make you feel old.

wicker man likes this.
  3. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

I had the same thought regarding Van Hooydonck.

and then for some reason I thought , you don't here names like,..Djamolodine mirgarifanovich abdoujaparov ,anymore do you

rich p and smutchin like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

True that, although I'd never heard of Gary until Brad became famous.

Axel Merckx has a couple of teenage daughters but I don't know if they are cyclists.

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

or indeed dopers, like Axel!

smutchin likes this.
  6. psmiffy

psmiffy -

allegedly :rolleyes: - its a bit mean spirited to accuse a 17yr old and a 14yr old

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
  7. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

8. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Steve Ovett`s son riding the jayco sun tour Freddy Ovett.
    2651E78600000578-0-image-m-76_1425673435594.jpg

smutchin likes this.
  9. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

The sons of people I played professional cricket with and against are coming up to retirement themselves now. It just can't be that long ago, surely?

(Don't call me Shirley) :smile:

Dogtrousers and wicker man like this.
  10. davidphilips

davidphilips Senior Member

Just wait until you look in the mirror some day and see your dad looking back at you?

11. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

with some of the recent feeling old threads on here , I think some are seeing their granddad staring back

Crackle and smutchin like this.

12. Indeed, I went to watch the Skol 6 at Wembley before Gary Wiggins was racing the 6 day circuit.

I wonder how many of the British riders in the peloton are the sons of riders I raced against - I know Dan Martin is.

Sharky and smutchin like this.
  13. Crackle

Crackle Pah

It's all a bit fekkin morbid recently, like I've accidentally stumbled into a funeral parlour, not a cycling forum.

roadrash and Dogtrousers like this.
  14. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

There's Maurice Burton former 6 day rider and his son.
    I have raced against Chris Boardman's dad, or to rephrase - I have been in the same race as his dad. Keith B was a top rider.

mjr likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice