Silent but deadly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You need to learn to use your eyes not just rely on hearing, especially in urban environments where there's lots of sources of noise.

Idoru

They should use some of the electric to make a Ferarri like engine noise keyed on the throttle.

That'd confuse people.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
They should use some of the electric to make a Ferarri like engine noise keyed on the throttle.

That'd confuse people.

That has been mooted. I must admit I have had a fright when shoulder checking and realising there was a hybrid coming up. Proves the worth of the check though, too easy to rely on tyre or engine noise.

Funny, but when the title was "Silent but deadly" I thought of something completely different :smile: May be to do with having a 12 year old dog lying at my feet!

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think Boris planned to insist hybrid or electric cars in London had some form of noise maker attached to warn cyclists blind pedestrians etc.

Dont know if it ever happened though, probably not.

He also put forward the idea of cars having a second quieter horn for giving gentle reminders rather than a full on horn blast everytime. Doubt that ever got off the ground either.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think Boris planned to insist hybrid or electric cars in London had some form of noise maker attached to warn cyclists blind pedestrians etc.

Joking aside, in Zermatt ( a posh ski resort) cars are banned, but electric taxis (basically mini moke style Spectre underground base runabouts) are allowed, and do indeed have bells fitted - sleigh bell style.

We are touting vehicle noise pollution as a good thing?

In certain circumstances

There is a proven higher accident rate with silent cars

Too many people rely on the noise, visually challenged even more so and step out in front

It is also theoretically why cycles spook people as well

A noise generator that assists is not noise pollution unless it becomes extreme

boydj

Legendary Member
Electric trolley buses in Glasgow in the 50's and 60's were known as 'whispering death' due to the high number of pedestrian casualties. You would have thought these big orange-yellow double-deckers would be easy to avoid:wacko:

Ganymede

Veteran
It is also theoretically why cycles spook people as well

An elderly neighbour of mine has said exactly this to me - that cycles are often "silent streaks", especially now that many cyclists go so fast. She's pretty spry and used to cycle herself.

I live in the country and I am guilty sometimes of not realising that there are two cars coming up to overtake me - especially if the first one is holding back before a blind bend and I am concentrating on getting round it - the second car arrives as I go round the bend - the overtake happens and it's two not one but you can't distinguish them by ear alone. TBH I think I'd hear a single electric car approaching though, because our road surfaces are so rubbishy.

mustang1

Guru
Get a rear view camera kit that's bkuetoothed to your phone which is placed on the handle bar. Also get one of those proximity sensors that flashes when it detects movement in your blind spot.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I wonder why it is that the news isn't full of deaf cyclists and pedestrians being mown down by silent cars and bike riders. Could it be that they are just very aware of their surroundings by necessity? As @User says, more noise is not necessarily the answer.
Exactly! Some people are obviously using "common sense" and "taking responsbility for their own actions" ***.

*** My apologies for not speaking in 21st century English. :rolleyes:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've found that older pedestrians often don't hear a bell. That's why I usually call out a cheery "bikes behind" or "good morning" when approaching from behind walkers or horses.

Top Bottom