'Silent' cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I don't do that much riding through towns, I'm mainly Road rides or Off Road stuff, but on the last couple of times I've ridden in traffic I've noticed that quite a few of the newer cars have an engine cut-off whilst waiting at traffic lights or stuck in queues.
Today, for example, I heard a car pull up behind me, then ...silence. I glanced over my shoulder and it was still there.
Not until the lights changed, a minute of so later, was it audible again as the engine started up. I suppose Electric cars are the same, but all the time.

classic33

Leg End Member
We have one advantage left. We can still hear them approaching, tyre noise.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have such a car that cuts off at traffic lights. To be fair, I regard it as a gimmick as it doesn't always work and I don't think it saves that much fuel. :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have such a car that cuts off at traffic lights. To be fair, I regard it as a gimmick as it doesn't always work and I don't think it saves that much fuel. :okay:

I think it more about city pollution than fuel saving, it will not turn off if the battery is below a certain level. Is it a twin battery system?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Speaking of electric cars being "green" etc have you ever considered what goes into building an electric car and the pollution that is created to generate the electricity required to charge an electric cars batteries, when you take it all into consideration I don't believe an electric car is anymore environmentally friendly than a petrol or diesel engined car.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most petrol cars are hard to hear when the air con is off. Tyre noise though is the main thing we all hear when a car is coming, any engine, unless it's revved.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Speaking of electric cars being "green" etc have you ever considered what goes into building an electric car and the pollution that is created to generate the electricity required to charge an electric cars batteries, when you take it all into consideration I don't believe an electric car in anymore environmentally friendly than a petrol or diesel engined car.

It's shocking - the battery production process is massively polluting. We should have life cycle tax for cars. Easy to calculate, but no-one will do it.

Top Bottom